Jul 11, 2005
Last posted................You last visited: 09-12-2006 at 03:29 PM'

Long time no see. In about 3 months is my year anniversary from almost getting killed on my modded Yamaha. I put the peg right threw my leg, ripped out some things, broke my collar bone, fractured 3 ribs...what happened you might ask? simple throttle being stuck in a split second after just gearing down for a corner...throttle pinned, went up around 20 feet in the air (4 foot drop from the track) blacked out. Woke up in the bed of a truck :D

I say that I almost got killed because thats exattly what the doctor said after he stitched me up and braced my arm, blah blah blah.

The artery was just "slightly hit" just a little bit farther he said I would have bleed out before anyone could stop the bleeding (because the hole in my leg was so big)

Since the crash, I haven't touched a dirt bike, only my rocket to get back and forth to school on nice days (about 2 times after the crash :P)

Anyone have remedies for getting back on the bike? or near death experiences(on bikes) they would like to share with me and others?

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Wow !!!! All I can say is someone upstairs is looking out for you !! I guess what I would do is start small. Get back on the bike and just putts until you feel comfortable again, then step it up a notch. Hit some small easy tables to get the feel of air time again. I know how you feel, it's been about 3 years since my last big crash. It wasn't near as bad as yours tho. I overshot a 45 foot stepdown by about twice its length, flat landed the bike, bottomed out the suspenssion so hard that I bent the bars downward, broke my left wrist and my right shoulder from the hit. To this day I am still having problems getting the courage to jump again because it scared me so bad of how serious it could have been. This jump is a 3rd gear maybe half throttle jump. I don't know where my head was that day but it sure wasn't on my shoulders, because I hit that jump in 4th at about 3\4 throttle. I flat landed from about 40 feet up. The stupid part was that I've hit this jump 100's of times before so it's not like I didn't know it. I ride a yz450f and when you get these bikes wound up, it's like trying to stop a runaway freight train. I am only 29 now but I can't ride like I used to. I guess I'm just too scared of getting hurt now. You just have to get back on and try, but don't forget that it's not about how good you are or once was, it's about having fun and enjoying life. So saddle up and fly free !!!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I, too, learned the lesson of making sure that all parts of the bike are working properly. I had a powervalve problem on a CR250 that caused it to bog badly on the face of a jump. I endoed badly and landed on my head with the bike on top of me. My brain didn't work properly for several months. I make sure the bikes are right, now, before I ride.

Jul 11, 2005
Thanks Sharky243, I think I'm going to get a nice trail bike to start with for now...Then step it up when I'm back in shape to ride (gained 20 lbs during my time off the bike). In 3 months its going to be a year, I'm going to head up to the track that I crashed on and have a few beers and joke around about it. I'm still not 100% healed enough to ride, minor things.

High Lord Gomer. Ouch...Ive face planted a few times on bikes(motor and not). Nothing to do any real damage though.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Too many near death/fulfilled life long memories? Sticky carb teaches proper dedication to smoothly flowing and routed cables! Have your suspension serviced, put some new dunlops on and go for a ride. Going riding on anything inferior is not recommended. Skewered by the footpeg, I missed that one. That sounds like a long rehab. Do not push riding or hitting corners, it should come back naturally. Unintentionally high siding through a berm, no school for that, I know! Any crash, get away from the bike or it will get even for making it crash!

Top Bottom