Compareable replacement for a KDX?

ryanseattle

Dec 2, 2001
Well I have decided to get back into riding after a LONG break. I was set on the KDX, but I plan on moving to California in around 6 months. Since the law passed in 97 regarding 2 strokes I guess I won't be buying a KDX. DAMN!!

So, my question...what' a compareable 4 stroke....and is there one anywhere near the same price? Primarily woods, trail riding...possibly some enduro in the future, but that's not the most important thing. I'm about 5'8" 180lbs. Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions...
Ryan

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Where in CA are you moving? Not all the riding areas are off-limits to 'red sticker' bikes, so you can ride a '97+ KDX year round at some areas.

For more info, check out this link from the District 36 page:

http://www.ama-d36.org/Lao/red_sticker_explanation.html

BTW, whether a bike gets a green or red sticker is based on emissions, not the number of strokes. Most new racing 4 strokes are also red sticker only, including the Yamaha WRF & YZF, and the dirt only Suzuki DRZ.

Some new KTMs, the XR Hondas and the KLX are green sticker 4 strokes.

The KLX300 seems to meet all the criteria you mentioned.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
KTM 400 exc

Great trail bike, great power "reasonable" weight (Not 2 stroke light but not XR heavy either) and love that majic button!

Not a MX bike but Competetive to ride enduro or HS.

Rod

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XR250 for sure! Upgrade it as you feel the need. A big bore kit is pretty cheap and is supposed to make a big difference of course that comes after a pipe and silencer upgrade. Suspension can be improved a little or a lot as you see fit (send off the stockers or fit up some worked XR400 forks or go USD). Stone cold reliable, no water cooling pieces to damage in a crash, inexpensive to buy and maintain and good resale value.

They I go again getting all worked up over a possible project bike.:mad:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Hey Pat, why don't you buy the 450F rolling chassis that's for sale in the classifieds forum and put an XR250 engine in it? :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…