m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
my engine in my cr250r blew up. today i completely took it apart. i removed my crank and the connecting rod had so much play in it. im guessing the connecting rod bearing or whatever it is went bad. it looked like there was crack in it. and it wasnt smooth at all while moving the connecting rod in its natural rotation. i didnt take the conecting rod off the crank.

i can order up a whole kit complete with top and and bottom end with the gaskets and seals and bearings for about 430.00 bucks. i have to order the center case which is where the tranny is and all that good stuff. how hard is it to get the old bearings out and in? and whatever else will i need a torch press and all that good stuff? im gonna have to transfer everything out of the old case and into the new one. thanks for any and all help.

-mike.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you buy new crank case halves from Honda, they should come with the crank bearings installed.

When my '99 blew up a few years ago, I think the crank case halves were about $165 each from Service Honda. The crank bearings themselves were about $30+- each if your crankcases can be saved.

A new crankshaft assembly from Honda will already have the big end bearing and the connecting rod installed.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thank you so much. i found one price for 237.00 at one place. another was 214.00, this place is only 197.00

-mike.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
When I did mine five years or so ago, I think I paid about $165 for one crankcase half, $30 for the crank bearing for the other side, about $70 for full gasket set, $120 for a new piston/top end kit, $70 for a complete gasket set, and I think around $160? for the crankshaft assembly. Add another $50 for a few other things (one power valve shaft bearing and a shift shaft seal). These were all OEM Honda parts.

I did most of the dis-assembly, but had a little trouble getting the cases split, so I paid a small shop a few hours time to complete the dis-assembly and put the motor back together.

Mine blew when I started to coast on a long road after a miles of top speed wide open throttle, trying to keep up with riders with wide ratio gear boxes. The hot motor without any cooling fuel or lubricating oil quickly caused terminal failure of the big end bearing. Luckily there was no damage to the cylinder or head.

I've heard of several other CR's blowing up the bottom end in similar fashion after coasting without pulling the clutch in after a hard run. Those motors are usually very reliable.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
Top Bottom