Compressing a shock spring to install it.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
My heavier MX-Tech supplied spring is very difficult to get on and off the shock body because it is longer than the stock one. The few times I've had it off, my normal method is to sweat and curse using whatever tools at hand to somehow pry or squeeze the spring enough to slip the lower spring guide/collar on or off. Is there some tool, homemade or otherwise that makes this task easier?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
In this case even with the rings all the way off, the spring needs to be compressed just a bit more to get the lower retaining collar to slip on.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
It took me 40 minutes to find one but here's one for $100 from http://www.mototechnw.com/index.htm
Shock Spring Compressor
Provides easy removal and installation of most shock springs with spring rates of 8 kg/mm or less without touching the spring collars. Features safety shaft locking device. Can save as much as 4 minutes per rebuild.
#TSSC 01 $99.99

scotth

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Try your local AutoZone Store; you can barrow a Spring Compressor from them by just leaving a deposit for it. If you don’t have a AutoZone, try another auto parts store or Sears, they have one for forty dollars Sears #: 00947057000.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I like the Race Tech shock tool, but at $40, the Sears one fits my budget a bit better. Thanks for the info.

scotth

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Yes, the Sears spring compressor is for car strut springs, but I believe it could work on your shock spring also. You should first try to borrow one from AutoZone and try it and see if it works.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Brush :Unless its like a XR 600 with a huge thick Buick type spring on it, Go down to the HOME CHEAPO way and get yourself some big screw type hose clamps for like a dryer vent hose or something and wrap them around the spring on different sides and tighten them down evenly until the spring collar can go on . I saw some old dudes doing this back in the day when VWs first came out with Mc Pherson struts and nobody really had any spring compressors. Thats about $3.00 at the local HOME CHEAPO. BOBO BRAZIL

Top Bottom