Compressing forks when bike is in transport..

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
When I had my truck I would tie down the bike using two adjustable ties hooked onto the inner handle bars and then to the bed of the truck (in the front corners).

I never had a problem with the bike moving around or falling and it seemed really sturdy.

However,

Now my front forks are sagging... and they're bottoming out all the time now. I literally have to "lift" the front up from underneath the bars when the bike is just sitting there (with me NOT sitting on it) for the forks to return to full height.

Did I ruin my forks by having them compressed while the bike was in transit?

What do you guys think?

My buddy was saying that I should have put a block of wood in between the tire and the bottom of the triple clamp in order to prevent compressing..

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Strapping it down like that will not damage the forks. It's more likely that you haven't bled the air from them and there is a vacuum inside that is preventing them from extending all the way. When's the last time you bled the air? It needs to be done with the front wheel off the ground.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Pretty simple and should be done before each ride.
- Put the bike on a stand so the front wheel is off the ground.
- Remove the air bleed screw from the top of each fork leg. It's the small screw off to the side in the fork cap. The center screw is used to adjust the suspension.
- Let the air in (or out) and reinstall it.
- Go ride!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Low oil? That would cause the forks to bottom out harshly. The oil level creates an air space in the forks and the air becomes a spring when the forks are compressed past the half way point. The more air, the softer the spring effect will be. So low oil will create a softer spring when the forks are fully compresses.

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
I took off the forks a couple days ago, the bike's going through an overhaul right now and I'm correcting everything that I don't like or that's wrong with it.

I found the bleed screws that you mentioned, and undid them with an allen key, they were on the side of the head bolt for the fork. When I did so, nothing changed, and nothing happened and the shocks feel really spongy and they do bottom out. I'm thinking it's low fluid but I have no idea how much they need.
Heres the weird part though, and I'm hoping that you can tell me what the hell I can do with these things to fill them.

On the bottom of each fork is a 'filler' nipple, it looks almost exactly the same as the valve from the tubes of a tire. When I pressed on the inner pin, oil came out..

Is this how you fill these things? lmao, i"ve never seen anything like it before, but then again I don't have much experience with forks.
How much fluid do I need? I know that there has to be a precise amount but if I don't have a manual is there a way to ball park it?

I really appreciate your help RM guy btw, and I thank you.

Just for kicks I went to my local bike scrap yard and found a 93 yz250 front end, with forks, triple clamp, caliper and disk. I asked the guys how much it would be for that front end and they said 600$.... I turned around and walked out... I was hoping that maybe I could just replace these no name shocks with something decent, but not for 600$..

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
What is this bike that you have? On most bikes the bleed screw is on the top of the fork cap and you use a flat bladed screw driver to remove them.

brentn

Aug 7, 2009
everytime I answer that question people stop helping me lol.

it's......

chinese...

Yes I say it with shame, but it's all I got and I've had a lot of hours on it in which it's repaid me with tons of experience and lessons..
I'm going to get a yammy in jan, I have some money saved up and I'll be riding something decent next year, however, my gf doesn't have anything and she'll be taking this bike when I'm done with it.
This is why I'm trying to get it going again.
I can provide pictures if you want of what I'm talking about, and once again I appreciate your help.

Richard S.

Aug 21, 2009
Normally, tying down a bike in the truck will not damage the springs or seals, etc. However, seeing that you have a Chinese built bike, I don't doubt that the springs sacked out.

Sorry, but that's just one example in the long list of why people should avoid those bikes if possible. I know - they're innexpensive and it's a cheap way to get into motorcycling.....as long as people understand what they're buying.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah the springs are not the best quality and they would have sagged whether you tied them down or not. I'm afraid you are out of luck. Your disposable bike is ready for the heap :( I am glad that you learned a lot on it.:)

Top Bottom