Compression test

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Well, it has been a year since my last topend job. I just ran a compression test and I'm getting about 170-175 psi (manual says usable is 115-178). My question is: how important is it to do on a warm engine? The book says to do it on a warm engine so that the engine oil between the piston and cylinder wall will help seal compression. Is it absolutely necessary? (It's 7:32 pm here and my neighbors wouldn't appreciate me warming my bike up!) I'm just needing to check to ensure my rings are still good and the bike is in rideable condition -- more or less how much longer before I have to think about pulling the jug off!

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
giving the fact that the compression is lower w/ a cold engine id say you are fine, but im no expert.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I've done it with a cold engine and then warmed the engine and did it again and noticed only about 5 psi change. I usually do it on a cold engine because it is more convenient. I take a reading after break-in for a reference point, and then every 10 hours or so just to make sure rings are still sealing well.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
a compresion test is excellent for telling how well the rings are sealing but if you have a lot of time on a cast piston could be cause for alarm. your statement of being a year concerns me.

a friend of mine had an 88 rm 250 with a stock piston in it that ran decent up until the piston shattered. With a slightly worn bore and a cast piston the skirts of the piston couldnt handle the rocking motion and a made a big mess.Yet the rings were still sealing enough to have decent feel of compresion at the kickstarter,start easily and run well. Some bikes are more problematic than others , how big the ports are and the piston contact area has a lot to do with this type of failure I am sure. Just something to think about besides just relying on a compresion test numbers.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…