firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
For those who understand these things better than I, I have questions.

Since I moved to my new place, I have had Qwest DSL service for my internet. I don't like it. It is slow and it randomly freezes or aborts whatever I am doing. For those who I talk to on various IM programs, you may have noticed me signing in and out constantly; that is why. My DSL will "blink" or something, and boot me off of the IM program, making me sign back in. I finally got fed up and shut them all down, I can't talk to someone with it acting like that. If I am in the middle of clicking on a link or new page in Explorer, sometimes it will either freeze, or go to the white "Page not available" error screen.

Now I don't think it is my computer, since it has never done this before with dial-up or cable internet. However I have done a "repair" on Explorer and deleted all cookies and temp files. I have also installed the little DSL filters on my two phones, hoping that it was interference from my phones. Nope still does it.

What else can I do? If I don't get it figured out, I am going to cancel DSL and go back to cable, which I know for a fact works just fine and there is a cable jack 2 feet from my computer.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Sharla - DSL runs over a standard copper pair of wires between your house and the phone company central office (CO) similar to the wiring on your home phone. The problems you are experiencing could occur if there is a wiring problem in the house, from the house to the common connection (telephone pole or slick), or from the slick to the CO. Your DSL provider works with the local phone provider to make the connection so a good place to start is to have them test the physical wiring connection. A good phone guy will know fairly quickly if it's a premise or backbone wiring issue. Once they eliminate the physical link as a cause it helps to narrow down the possibilities. The blinking you see is usually the DSL modem trying to re-sync with the head-end equipment and reestablish the connection. That usually points to a DSL issue unrelated to your computer.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Rich--that sounds right to me, kinda what I had guessed (without all the big words, I just figured it was a wiring problem). But every time I call tech support they get me to do all this stuff to my computer. It must be easier for them or something. Plus it's a PITA to take time off and be home for a service tech to come over. I may go back to cable.

What is the comparison in overall quality between cable and dsl internet service? Seems like cable is currently the better deal . . . but if it's worth it, I'll make them fix this for me.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I tried DSL when I lived in OK. Had similar problems the entire time. Mine was way slower than the cable I have now and it was more expensive. I know others that really like DSL but mine was horrible and I'll avoid DSL like the plague from now on.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I definately reccomend cable modems over DSL. Like Rich said part of the DSL depends on you home phone wiring. I've never had a dsl install person offer to re-wire the wires from my dsl modem to the pole. Everytime i have had a cable modem installed they have ran new cable and tested it.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
you may want to ask around if you know neighbors who have cable or dsl in your area. quality of service varies greatly from place to place. both DSL and cable require a good installation to work correctly. if you know the phone lines in your house (or on your street for that matter) are old, or you are at the very edge of the DSL coverage area, cable may be the best bet.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by mx
DNR SUCK

Who are you? What is DNR? Did you mis-type DRN? If so, go find something else to do. If not, please explain.

Our house is really old--it's a big Victorian house that's been converted to 2 apartments. We live in the upstairs one. There were already some wiring issues, and the downstairs people had some issues with DSL and phone line quality too. I think I may give it one full billing cycle and then switch.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Cable can work really well but it is subject to the same bandwidth problems as any other shared network. In other words it's fast when no one is on it and slow when they are.

For me cable is great because in my neighborhood I'm about the only one that can even SPELL cable, so traffic isn't usually an issue. I still run into the occasional re-sync problem but overall it's pretty good.

DSL is great in theory, but the constant finger pointing between local telco providers and some of the low rent DSL providers can get REALLY OLD.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
You need to know the rate of the DSL service to compare it to cabel. Cable is capped at 1.5 Mps DL and I forget what the upload is so you have to compare the band width. Cable caries usally have better lines and equipment than the phone Cos do since the cable equipment is newer, but as Rich said, the inhouse lines have alot to do with most problems. If you want to shut your DSL Tech-abort people up just tell them you tried it with a laptop computer that is new and still have the same issues and that you want a tech to check the line service on the site. The phone techs are usally quite frank and will tell you if your on the edge of the DSL service area or in a bad area

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
LOL, its funny, I CANT spell cable ^^ along with many other words, heheheh But I CAN spell DRN :) . Yeah the phone Cos are the worst with passing the buck, always have been always will, compines like ATX are great if you can hook with them becuase they will take the issue to the carrier FOR you so your not the monkey in the middle.

Top Bottom