Concussions and Seizures

• I have had concussions, and no siezures.

Votes: 47 90.4%
  • I have had concussions and seizures.

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I had a severe head concussion, sometime later I had 1 Grand Mal seizure. The head injury leaves scar tissue that effects normal electric pulses, blood flow? I went to Northwestern in Chicago and they told me it was most likely do to the head injury. Take dilantin and phenobarbital and you will be fine. I do not recall anymore concussions, and like 9 years later, got another EEG and was told that I did not have to take the meds anymore. Still been good for 24 years, and with no more head injury's. My oldest son Ryan has had way too many concussions to even count. He has had like 6 or 7 seizures over the years, for varying reasons, and of late more frequent. His Doctor really blows, off the top. Seems energy drinks and caffeine are on the list of no-no's also? But, about a month ago or so, he hit his head pretty nasty in the Quad killer(dune buggy). He did not black out, just hit it hard. When you have a seizure its a good idea to have the med level, and some other relevant levels also. Potassium was low a couple times, meds a couple times low and once too high. Well he finally has a date to go to an Epilepsy clinic in Indianapolis. I was told this is not hereditary, that was questioned a lot of times. So I wondered? Anyone else?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Same here. 3 serious concussions, 2 moderate and 1 severe. The 1 severe one was an experience I won't forget. After I came to it was like being a bit buzzed and looking through a tube with a band blacked out in the center. I had to look up to see in front of me for about 15 minutes.

No seizures to date, but I do have some trouble with blacking out if I stand up too quickly.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
This is interesting, because I just attended a really good lecture regarding seizures last week as a part of my EMT refresher class. According to the expert, what we "lay-people" think of as a seizure (grand mal) is just one type of seizure. You could be having several seizures throughout the day and night without even knowing it. Some people misdiagnose ADHD in kids who are actually havine seizures throughout the day. There's no real way to identify them, though, except with an electroencephelogram (EEG).

Seizure meds are actually tranquilizers that calm the portions of the brain where the seizures occur (in case I forgot to mention, the definition of a seizure is basically an electrical problem in the brain).

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I've had a couple of concussions.. The worst side effect I've noticed is a certain inability to walk down stairs without falling. :yikes:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Like Pred said, there are a LOT of differant types of seizures. Joe, I would go see a neurologist, one that is fluent in English. And some forms are diagnosed as having like a brain fart. Ever had X rays and an EEG? The EEG is the only method, scientifically, that shows if you had, or may be susceptible. The xray will show damaged tissue. Ryan never got diagnosed as having a Grand Mal, some he was coherent minutes later. When I had my injury, I kept repeating questions, appeared drunk, and woke up the next day with severe head and neck pain, and a near total memory loss of that day. Ryan had it that bad twice. The last time I talked with a decent Neurologist(fluent in English) they still do not KNOW a lot about it. A trip to the roller coasters leaves Ryan and myself with nasty headaches, and we do not like strobe lights! And the damaged tissue does not show good, till the swelling goes down.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
not sure what to call it? A couple months ago I had a wreck that knocked me out for about ten minutes. then we went riding for about another 45 minutes after the wreck before pulling up to my truck. funny thing is, all I remember is hitting this jump and then pulling up to my truck. guess I was riding ok. lol My buddies had to fill in the rest. kinda freaked me out not remember riding for that long at all.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
kaboom1371 said:
not sure what to call it? A couple months ago I had a wreck that knocked me out for about ten minutes. then we went riding for about another 45 minutes after the wreck before pulling up to my truck. funny thing is, all I remember is hitting this jump and then pulling up to my truck. guess I was riding ok. lol My buddies had to fill in the rest. kinda freaked me out not remember riding for that long at all.
You had a concussion, when your swelling goes down, your helmet will not fit. Its garbage, it did its job. Thats the good news! I have heard both sides of the sleeping after a head injury? Kaboom, go tell your story to the er, or your doctor,STAT! What little I have picked up from watching the pros with head injuries, they do not even want them back on a bike, depending on the severity. For a set time after the injury? They do get the really good doctors. imo.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Kaboom, I'd call it "go see a doctor as soon as possible!" You obviously had a severe concussion, and you should be looked at. There could be some cranial bleeding going on.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The head injury damages brain tissue, swelling and bleeding could happen. Swelling goes down, hopefully the blood flow is sufficient and not hemorrhaging. This damaged tissue does not fix itself, but can by pass it. Given proper management and time. AND NO MORE KNOCKS ON tHE HEAD! But its the electric pulses is where I was getting the impression that can lead to seizures? Where is all the Docs? Vacation time of the year? Pred, do you go with the don't sleep after a head injury?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Like Pred said, there are a LOT of differant types of seizures. Joe, I would go see a neurologist, one that is fluent in English. And some forms are diagnosed as having like a brain fart. Ever had X rays and an EEG? The EEG is the only method, scientifically, that shows if you had, or may be susceptible. The xray will show damaged tissue. Ryan never got diagnosed as having a Grand Mal, some he was coherent minutes later. When I had my injury, I kept repeating questions, appeared drunk, and woke up the next day with severe head and neck pain, and a near total memory loss of that day. Ryan had it that bad twice. The last time I talked with a decent Neurologist(fluent in English) they still do not KNOW a lot about it. A trip to the roller coasters leaves Ryan and myself with nasty headaches, and we do not like strobe lights! And the damaged tissue does not show good, till the swelling goes down.

Yeah, I had a bunch of testing done when this first started happening. It was worse years ago. I would get up quickly to answer the phone and hit the deck. They did EEG, MRI and heart monitor (maybe more). All came back normal. They said to stand up slower, lol. I have a feeling this is going to lead to something more serious later in life, but we'll see.

I was always told stay awake after head trauma. My first bad concussion was accompanied by a broken collar bone, for which I was give Tylenol 3's. I wasn't allowed to take them for something like 8 hours becuase they made me sleep. I seriously felt like I got hit by a train. Crazy considering I was on a saucer sled. :whoa:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, concussion but no siezures for me.

My wife was an epileptic as child and had several seizures. Juvenile / adolescent epilepsy is apparently fairly common, and maybe that is what WhenFoxForksRuled's son has. Might have no connection to the concussions at all.

My wife says strobe lights can aboslutely trigger seiuzres in epileptics, and she still avoids them as much as possible.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Pred, do you go with the don't sleep after a head injury?
I go with the "get as much rest as possible, but make sure someone is monitoring you" after a head injury.

we had one of our firefighters take a tumble when the front wheel on his bicycle fell off, and we took turns monitoring him. The dude had a SERIOUS concussion, wehre he couldn't recall the event and was repeating himself every 2-3 minutes. This went on for a few days. Finally he came out of it, but we make sure he wears a helmet now. Also, no seizures for him.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
My wife was an epileptic as child and had several seizures. Juvenile / adolescent epilepsy is apparently fairly common, and maybe that is what WhenFoxForksRuled's son has. Might have no connection to the concussions at all . . .
That could also be the case, as a LOT of those who have seizures as children "grow out of it".

But, if the kid didn't have seizures until after his concussion, then it *could* be a factor.

Then again, brain doctors will (sometimes) admit to you they know very little about the organ they work on.

and I'm not an expert, I just listened to one talk.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am going to be a grandpa! Good story. Ryan finds a girl that really puts up with him. They had a date for marriage 9-18. Lack of work and what not, bumped it up to 5-18$$ They stayed with me the lasts 6 months. My lovely wife seen her 4 months ago and told her she looked pregnant, nah, just a little overweight. On the pill and normal cycles. Month ago they decided to stop the pill, and use other means. Ryan has been speculated as being wracked too many times and impotent, since 15, figured by his mother. Ryan claims he has tried before with others, nada. She was feeling oddly yesterday and went in for a female check up. SHE'S 6 MONTHS PREGNANT! Well HE'S healthy and Seth is due 6-22. On the backside, I will have to deal with them damn pw-50's, again! But now I know how to really make it scoot! Back on thread, junior and myself are going to see if there is some genetic/hereditary or a test? Aye Carumba! All that I remember is being told no, but the eeg can show if you had one.

J-man

May 16, 2007
Congrats man.

I had a concussion a few weeks ago and it started giving me really crazy images at night, I know im awake for them but my family says they never see me, they just hear the screaming and me running aroung the house like a mad man. I had a CT scan done and it came back normal. im supposed to have a phyciatric (hope i got that right) evaluation in a few days. Has anyone else had one of these evaluations who can fill me in on what they do?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thanks in 2 months! J man no, I have heard of people with exactly your condition before though. Seems it was repressed memories or something. Me personally, could not tell you the last time I dreamed/remembered? It is a bit unnerving. But, I do have apnea and snore bad. For that I get a frigging fancy compressor that blows 18 psi down my throat. Talk about gas in the morning!!!! Oh, and J man, them bozos can not get good pics right away off concussions. The scarring takes a while to show? Xrays work good though, for breaks.

Top Bottom