nls2299

Aug 20, 2010
Ok, my first posting.
Son has been riding since 3, rode the wheels off an XR50. We finally upgraded him to a CRF100 which he rode for a year and a half.
His info.
1) 11 1/2 years old, 5'2", 95 pounds.
2) Not the most aggressive kid in the world, but isn't the type to cruise in first gear, just putting along...ran the CRF pretty hard, but didn't destroy it.
3) We ride trails - period. We have about 15 acres of trails to ride on, with a small pitbike track. Land is fairly flat, but we do run down into creeks, up and out, up and down...typical riding ya know?
4) He's been riding since 3, I've been riding for 20+ years - couple dirtbikes, couple quads, streetbikes, Harley's, etc.
5) His friend has a fullblown mx track but he's only been on it a couple times...seriously doubt if we ever actually race.
6) I am mechanically inclined, but as for a complete bike build or engine overhaul, I would need help. I have zero experience with 2 strokes, other than riding my friends.
7) We've always ridden Suzuki and Honda.
8) One dealer near me and they are horrible, however I can access parts.

Well a few of his friends have 85cc 2 strokes. 1 is a serious MX'er (RM), the other a serious GNCC'er (KTM). He's rode their bikes, loved them, rode them well but honestly never kept it in the powerband too much, preferred the RM.
He was timid on the track and in the woods never really had the room to keep it in the powerband...which is fine, the bikes ran well still and he was comfortable...that's what matters most.
Well we thought at the time we'd sell the CRF, get him a 2 stroke. The CRF sold in no time, and I've spent a while locating a good deal on a used RM85 which is what he wanted (tight budget).
Now I'm concerned. For where we ride, the conditions we rode in, I'm thinking of should've kept the CRF, added some minor mods, and let him ride it to death for a while longer. I don't think he'll ever use the RM in the manner it is meant or can be used. Plus, it would've been fun to do a little mod project (minor stuff) with him on the CRF.
He has some other friends which have sold their KX85's and moved back to 125 - 4 strokes. Personally I prefer the CRF100 over the DRZ/KLX 125's.
Not sure what to do now...of course he says he wants the bada** mx'er...I don't know if he'll be happy in the long run, and I know my wife won't be happy if I keep buying and selling bikes!
I would appreciate any input from people in the same boat or were in the same boat.
Thanks!

Oct 8, 2010
5 ft 2 95 pounds, id keep away from a 2 stroke IMO stick with a four stroke. 2 strokes with a 95 pound rider = disaster, if he rode the 100 like hell, expect it from a bigger bike, go with a crf125 small wheel add parts if he wants more power. thats what i would do, i bought a little pw 80 from a kid for 200$ for my son, when he gets a bit bigger im just working on it for now, and when he out grows the 80 im going to get him a 100cc 4 stroke, to avoid anything that could possibly hurt him but go with a 125 crf small wheel, great fun bike

nls2299

Aug 20, 2010
I've never heard of a Honda CRF125 4 stroke. CRF100, CRF150F, but no CRF125. And there is no way I want to get a CRF150F, 200 pound sled. I agree, he'd try to hammer on that 2 stroke, about one time until he learned where that powerband is at!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
StreetLimitz89 said:
5 ft 2 95 pounds, id keep away from a 2 stroke IMO stick with a four stroke. 2 strokes with a 95 pound rider = disaster

Not sure how height and weight is really relevant in this equation other than being able to touch the ground. Plenty of sub 5' kids under a hundred pounds who can embarrass plenty of experienced riders on 450's without disaster.

My thoughts on this is that your son wants the 85 so he's unlikely to be happy with any 4 stroke trail bike. You already own the RM which il likely the best 85cc platform for a newer rider so I would do your mod projects with it and make it more suitable for the type of riding you favor. Adding a flywheel weight along with porting for low end power would be a great start.

nls2299

Aug 20, 2010
Well right now its getting cold quick, so Im not in a huge rush to get something. Although not having a bike at all in the garage is killing him (at least that's how he acts). It would be so great if I could find someone with an 85 2s to bring it down and let us take it around our little area and see if he likes it or not.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
StreetLimitz89 said:
5 ft 2 95 pounds, id keep away from a 2 stroke IMO stick with a four stroke. 2 strokes with a 95 pound rider = disaster, if he rode the 100 like hell, expect it from a bigger bike, go with a crf125 small wheel add parts if he wants more power. thats what i would do, i bought a little pw 80 from a kid for 200$ for my son, when he gets a bit bigger im just working on it for now, and when he out grows the 80 im going to get him a 100cc 4 stroke, to avoid anything that could possibly hurt him but go with a 125 crf small wheel, great fun bike

HUH? :coocoo:

The 85 will be a great bike for him. You'll have an easier time with learning the ins and outs if you do take on an engine rebuild (the 2 stroke is WAY more simple), and the 85 will have enough go to keep the kid happy for a while.

my 2 cents anyway.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wow silly me I put a 75 pound kid that was 4'8 and riding since he was 3 on a CR85R in the woods and he LOVED it :laugh:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Patman said:
Wow silly me I put a 75 pound kid that was 4'8 and riding since he was 3 on a CR85R in the woods and he LOVED it :laugh:
And I put and similar sized child on a KTM85 a few years back, had only been riding since he was 5. Now he's 5'5", 95 lbs, and racing a 144SX. I must be nuts. Oh well, he likes it just fine.

OP, let your kid learn to ride the RM, check the jetting, maybe run a hotter plug, and feel free to consider a flywheel weight. The RM has more usable bottom end than any other 85, it is likely your best 2stk MXer option.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Son switched to KTM 85 after having an XR80. He's 13 tho. 5'4 110lbs. Yeah, its got a lot more power but even at 13, he wants to live longer so survival instinct kicks in. He also asks to go riding alot more since he's on a bike he wants.

Top Bottom