Confused Indy SX fans & Langston a quitter?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We were at the Indy SX race - what an awesome time!! Anyways, a few general comments I wanted to make.

The Fans
OK... before the 250 main they talked to 3 riders: Vuillemin, RC, and MC. Vuillemin was first up and got booed like crazy. Then RC and MC were both cheered like they were in the points lead. So maybe the fans don't care for DV because he's french or whatever - but come on - this guys has 3 wins and ALL podium finishes. He's on fire. He's fast. He's smooth. And don't forget that he gave MC a run for his money back in '00 when MC was on top of his game. Give DV a little respect. He's a nice guy and deserves it.

So... fast forward to the last 2 laps of the 250 main - DV passes RC and the crowd is on their feet and going absolutely NUTS! Yeah, most of the crowd was pissed b/c they thing RC shouldn't have tagged Pastrana but that's racing. And Pastrana screwed up in the corner. Oh well! RC had a tough first 250 season too. Anyways - DV is now the big hero. He goes over the finish line, the fireworks go off, and the crowd is outta control with cheers.

HOW DID THEY CHANGE THEIR OPINIONS OF DV SO DRASTICALLY IN 30 MINUTES? The fans need to get real... cheer for who you like and stick with it. They just jump on the friggin band wagon. It's like 90% of the crowd doesn't even know what's going on. I question if some thought DV was MC. Ya know #12... #2... both blue bikes. After the 250 main - the podium bikes (DV, RC, Ronron) were in the inspection area in the pits and I heard a few people say "look - there's MC's bike!" And another kicker... after the main there were HUGE crowds surrounding the Suzuki semi (Pastrana), the Bud Light semi (MC), and the Honda semi (RC) - but not a single person by the Yamaha semi. What a joke - I just had to vent on that.

Langston

He broke a clutch lever off after the whoops. Is it me - or does this guy act like a baby? How hard would it have been to go out there and ride the track in 2nd and 3rd without a clutch? KTM has the money to replace the tranny before next race. Hell - half of the guys don't use their clutch anyways. He just seems like a quitter to me. If things don't go his way - he sits down and cries. Seen it when he showed off on the triple and threw away his first SX last year (Phoenix I think?) and at Steel City when his wheel came apart. I just don't see why he didn't at least TRY to ride without the clutch and get some points.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Another thing on DV that bothered me

When they did the introductions during the opening ceremonies, DV wasn't the last one out. Ya know... they introduce the top 10 in points - they come out, wheelie down the start, yadda yadda. Well DV (THE POINTS LEADER) was called out ahead of RC and MC. And of course he got booed during the opening ceremonies, too. And RC and MC were the big buzz of the house.

Now here's the thing that upsetts me. If Larocco or Pastrana were the current points leader - I bet they would have been called out last (like they should be) and after RC and MC. Why - because they are more "likeable" and "marketable" for the SX promoters than say... DV or Ronron. I just think that's a bunch of crap.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The whole thing just reeks of Clear Channel-ness. :uh:

I can''t believe Langston pulled off. What was he thinking? He could have scored SOME points. . .

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I think DV is an awesome rider, but I do admit I like him a little less because he's French. You do have to give him props for being the only rider who was not afraid to take it to MC in 2000, and man is he smooth. I am now hearing that Langston's bike also seized,maybe KTM has some real issues there. If that's true that would explain why he pulled out. After he ran the nationals with messed up shoulders I think he is probably plenty tough. As far as riding the track in secon or third, I know I couldn't. Heck sometimes I get a little woozy on a 30 footer witha bike that is all good. JK;)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
What are you talking about? I cry anytime I break anything on my bike! I agree about DV. The thing is, he wants people here to boo him. Did you see that little curtsey thing he did after the win? It reminded me of HHH (pro rassler) when he used to do that to get people to boo him. I say, if you like DV, boo him. I think it gives him more power!

Personally, I liked him back when he was a challenge for MC in 00'. I like rooting for the underdog. He is no longer the underdog. I find myself rooting for MC now. I feel sorry for the guy.

Byrd Man

Aug 24, 2000
Great post Nikki! I like watching DV, he is the king of smooth right now. He deserves any recognition he can get. Langston does seem to be a big wuss. That boy cries more than my ex- girlfriend.:mad:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by Byrd Man
That boy cries more than my ex- girlfriend.:mad:

LMAO!!!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by nikki
It's like 90% of the crowd doesn't even know what's going on.

That's probably about right.:)

I think there has to be more to the Langston story.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm with you, Ivan. I'd like to know more about Langston's bike. Though, personally, I think he should have ridden that sucker around until it lunched, get as many points as possible.

(And Nikki, the first thing I said to my wife when I heard Langston went down was "I suppose he's gonna cry" :D )

I was worried about RC just walking off, since he seemed to open it up a little on Le Cobra after his "incident" with TP (save that for the other thread!), but DV just jumped up on my favorite guy list after setting up the Leprechaun for several laps in a row (heck, even I could see it coming! :scream: ), then making that pass. Anyone doing that is going to garner some fans!

An aside, I think that's the first time anyone has come back and passed RC for the win in SX! Good job Dave V!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I agree, DV deserves mad props. Very well done.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
On the telecast, it looked like Langston and his crew were fiddling with his shift lever. I'll bet his shifter got messed up as well has his clutch lever when the bike landed on its left side. Not possible to start the bike if you can't get it into nuetral and there's no clutch lever.

Langston proved last year he's not a quitter. He seemed fine when DC talked to him briefly after the crash, but he isn't about to say his KTM broke on national TV.

KSHAFFER

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2001
INDY

It is so true about 90% of the fans don't really know what's going on. I was walking around the mall before they let us in the dome, and was trying to guess out of all the people who were wearing moto-shirts , actually owns a bike. The guys sitting beside me did the same exact thing about booing RC at the end. It's ridiculous.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Humm... didn't Ping's KTM sieze as well a couple of rounds ago? Uh oh! KTM is in trouble! :debil:

I agree that the booing is in poor taste, but look at the other side of it. It's been common for years that the largest part of those that attend a race, do ride/race. More non-riders filling the stands? That's good. (Assuming you think the growth of the sport as a whole is a good thing).

Fans getting into the races emotionaly (right or wrong, knowledgable or not) is good... it may take a while for all the newbie fans learn enough about the sport.

JAMRACING

Apr 21, 2000
Langston a wuss?!?! Are you people insane?? I'd like to see anybody ride half a season with a busted shoulder, and then lose the season due to rear wheel failure! Hell, he's had injuries that I wouldn't hope on my enemies (did you know that one of his legs is shorter after a crash that shattered his femur, to name one). The kid is tough as nails.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Langston broke his perch when he went down. I doubt the bike seized. It looked like he was having a hard time trying to find neutra. I just cant see riding a 125 around without a clutch. He probably would have been a danger to himself and others out there trying to ride with out a clutch. Or maybe he's just a wuss. After all he does live in California now. Proabbly has a maid a greenskeeper a pool boy and a weekly schedule to have his nails and hair done.

The East is looking to be a good series. Brown supprised me and Buddy Antunez really supprised me.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by ODEI
Langston broke the clutch perch in his crash. A 125 with out a clutch is useless

Pete Odegaard

You must of forgotten about Travis racing without a clutch last year. (not sure which SX it was) He passed several riders and got valuable points, his bars were bent as well.

Its not impossible if you have the drive to keep going.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Great point Offroadr! It can definately be done.

Not only that - but couldn't KTM slapped a perch on there? I mean that would have taken less than one minute (lap time = 1 minute).

Just like at Steel City... the Kawasaki Splitfire mule was sitting trackside with complete wheels in the bed. If Brown would have had a wheel failure, I bet a new rear wheel could have been changed in less than one lap's time. They were prepared. Doesn't look like KTM was. Even if KTM had a complete wheel ready to go - would they have bothered to try to change it? What if Brown went down hard in the last two laps or had a mechanical failure of his own? And Langston was sitting on the ground crying... :think

Another point - only 16 of the 22 125 rider completed all 15 laps. There were 4 DNF's alone. Langston could have gotten points if the clutch lever was the ONLY think wrong with his bike. Maybe it did seize. Maybe the shifter was screwed up. I would really like to know.

Don't get me wrong - Langston impressed the heck outta me riding injured during the outdoor season and putting in a run at the title. He is tough. But he just seems to give up quick in the heat of the moment when things go wrong.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Langston

He broke a clutch lever off after the whoops. Is it me - or does this guy act like a baby? How hard would it have been to go out there and ride the track in 2nd and 3rd without a clutch? KTM has the money to replace the tranny before next race. Hell - half of the guys don't use their clutch anyways. He just seems like a quitter to me. If things don't go his way - he sits down and cries. Seen it when he showed off on the triple and threw away his first SX last year (Phoenix I think?) and at Steel City when his wheel came apart. I just don't see why he didn't at least TRY to ride without the clutch and get some points.

I don't think a guy who just needs to finish 3rd to become 125 National champ just quits in the final race of the season because he is in tears and emotional. Maybe after the wheel went he was out of the race, championship etc, second was all he was going to get. The guy raced his heart out, and really deserved the championship. OK, so he has a good cry now and then, but I can bet you, after all is said and done, he will be the first to say 'yeah, its tough, but that's racing' :)

BTW, the guy is a world champion, he definitely did not quit his way to the top.

As to the booing, is is all part of the game, lots of fun can be had at an SX event.

DV no doubt is probably having the time of his life, all the boos must be really getting him pumped up. He probably enjoys it too. I can bet the most fun he has, is with his fans before and after the race, these are the people that really count. (to the rider that is)

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
You are right about the fans Nikki. I was embarrassed to be a hoosier when they started booing DV in the introductions. The boos shook the place. Then the cheers rocked the place for him later. Must have been a lot of non-riding ***** in the crowd. I really did not like the mentality of that group.:uh:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I don't know Senior, I booed MC at last years race opening, If he had won, I would have cheered, more out of appreciation and recognition of a job well done.

Makes perfect sense to me, boo the Frenchman when he comes in (you can't not!), and then give him a warm round of applause at the end for a great win.

I guess you had to be there ! :) (At least I'll make the Dallas SX this year)

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
The KTM has a hydraulic clutch. can't change out a juice clutch as fast. It did look like he couldn't find neutral. didn't look like he really tried to get going in a hurry. Had he restarted quickly, he could have finished maybe 10th with no clutch. You would of thought that he would have said to DC that his shifter was bent or no clutch was the reason for DNF. He should have said something.

Heck, a few years ago I was in 4th in a race and on the last lap I fell over and broke my handlebar off I rode 3/4 of a lap with my hanlebar dangling to finish the race. Still beat 4 guys.......GL could have at least tried.............

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by nikki
The fans need to get real... cheer for who you like and stick with it.

I cheer whenever ANYONE gives the Leprechaun heat like that.

Good for DV, he was setting up that pass for a least 3 laps. He just held on and let Travis and RC dice and tire (and crash) themselves out, and made notes of who was lacking and where. That's smart racing and David deserves all the props he can get.

OTOH, we were surprised to hear RC actually giving DV credit for a good race, BUT his "left arm pumped up pretty bad." It's always someting, he just can't be beaten. :debil:

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Re: Re: Confused Indy SX fans & Langston a quitter?

Originally posted by *william*
OTOH, we were surprised to here RC actually giving DV credit for a good race, BUT his "left arm pumped up pretty bad." It's always someting, he just can't be beaten. :debil:
That's one of the reasons the Leprechaun rankles me. He can't give a guy credit. Even Bitterman Pingree said he had every orofice puckered feeling the heat from Bubba!

Dave just flat smoked Ricky. 'Nuff said.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Langston's act confused me

He admitted his shoulder was fine. His bike looked rideable but he was dorking with the shifter. I woiuld have thought he would at least be screaming to get it fixed, but he looked content to observe this race.
Perhaps it's about the sponsorship money now and not about the championship???

Top Bottom