JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
US rider Nicky Hayden just rode to a spectacular 3rd place in the Australian MotoGP race. On the second-to-last lap, he was fifth, but passed two riders on the last two laps to finish on the podium. :worship:

This is Nicky's first year on GP bikes (along with a couple of other homeboys), and he's had a pretty decent time of it. He's in 5th OA for the championship. Not too shabby. :thumb:

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
That was a sweet race for him.  I watched the last 5 laps.  Rossi is lightning fast, as usual, but the intensity of the last 2 laps were awesome.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Nicky definitely has promise overseas. It'll be interesting to see what happens to his opportunities next season if Rossi leaves the Honda team.

And regardless of that yellow flag, Rossi crossed the finish line ahead of Capirossi by over 14 seconds. :worship: :worship:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Ive been expecting someone out of the US for some years now....no one who's showed up recently has delivered at GP level. I watched Nicky earlier in the year and thought maybe not. But I followed the whole season and he's improved every race....slowly but always moving forward. I was happy for him when he got on the podium.....hard fight ....tough ride....he showed he's got what it takes to succeed in MotoGP.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
That was exciting to watch, got a question though, is James Hayden one of the brothers ?, I only hear of the 3, but yesterday I heard of a 4th Hayden.

And why didn't Rossi get a stop and go ???

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The 4th guy is named James Haydon, and he's a Brit (I think) riding in WSB. He's unrelated to the US Haydens.

I fully expected Rossi to do a stop & go, but I guess the officials decided that adding ten seconds to his total race time was severe enough.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
You would have thought a stop and go would have put a whole new outcome on the race, he would have had to work his way though traffic to gain back his position, in stead of having a open track in front of him to just run WFO and pick up those needed seconds.

I never heard of just adding seconds, just doesn't seem right, but oh well

Oh and thanks for clearing up the Haydon/ Hayden thing

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I've never seen stop n go used in GP racing.

bh

Nov 26, 2001
I think Hayden is gonna be one of the top guys next year. Just think how good he could be at a track here in the states that he has raced on before!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i hate to rain on nicky's parade but i really think that honda should of given that bike to collin edwards. he knows the tracks and if they would of given nicky a year in wsb, he would of even been better in the gp. i just think it was a sorry slap in the face to edwards. just imagine the team honda could of had next yr. edwards and rossi this yr. rossi leaves end of 03. move up hayden and make it hayden and edwards for 04.

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
TX 246- I have heard allot of Colin should have stories, but you know what ?Colin is almost 10 years older than Nick, and as of this day Nicky is a better rider. Nicky is a single 22 year old, were Edwards is over 30 married with a kid. Who's got more baggage along with them? And don't tell me this isn't a big deal, because to Honda it is, and that is why Valentino is leaving, they wouldn't cover any bills for his GF. Nicky has way way more PR value than Colin Edwards. I think a year in World superbike for Nicky would have been a waste, and a huge mistake. For one he wouldn't have been on a Ducati, and well you aren't going to win unless your on a Ducati in WSB. Honda folded there WSB program, and for good reason with Moto GP going four stroke, they can now market spin off bikes from the GP platform. Honda's 600RR is a very good example. It is only a matter of time before Honda makes a production V-5. Edwards is a second rate rider, who had an exceptional season, and is on his way out. Don't be surprized if you see him in AMA superbike in the next 3 years. It is rumored that Honda might put him on a satelight team next year, and I know he would shoot himself before he rode that awful Cube next season.

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
TX 246 I just noticed you are fro Texas, so I can see how you would be pulling for Colin, and thats understandable. I mean how many Canadians do you see in Moto GP, ummmmmmmm, well if honda gave me a ride I'm sure I could finish at least one race without being lapped 10 times. I am a fast rode racer but those guys are hella talented.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
SK 250,

Try playing nice. I don't think being from Texas has anything to do with being an Edwards fan. As for your Rossi comment, you know nothing more about that contract than what you've read in Cycle News, just like the rest of us. :silly: :debil:

Last edited:

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
I'm not trying to rip on anyone, I'm just stating my opinion, I'm sure there would be a hundred people that would rip on my TL1000R, because it's outdated, and heavy, and slow, well the slow would be there opinion, the heavy and outdated are true. As for the contract, amasuperbike.com has some pretty intelligent information, as does a friend of mine who is a Canadian Rep for Honda Japan, so I would think that I do know a little more than the avg. joe, I do know that his contract is up, and there are problems with HRC that are making him sign with an inferior bike, but who knows maybe he is getting sick of people saying it thr RC-211V thats winning the races. Critics would quickly be hushed if he did his thing on a Ducati, and even more so on a Yamaha. Thats my $.02 for the day.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by SK 250
I'm sure I could finish at least one race without being lapped 10 times.

LOL, dream on. :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm glad Nicky Hayden got the nod over Collin Edwards and lookie at my location. It shouldn't matter where you are from, what color you are, if you have 3 wives and 16 kids or if you are 20 or 50. If you have talent and show you can progress that is worth more than being an also ran. No doubt in my mind the hot ticket rider got the position.

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
Rich how do you know if I haven't raced pro? It is this very reason why I never question anyones talent on Forums, I have no idea who these poepl are and what there riding experiences have been. FYI top 5 in Canadian Superbike qualifies me to make the statement I did. Even though that was years ago.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i know business is business but i still stand by my statement that colin should of got the nod. is there no loyalty? as far as second rate rider goes. in wsb, collin did just fine against the ducs. i dont even think anybody even questioned his skill. he wasnt a crasher or complainer. age at roadracing is not as big a factor. i also think colin could of developed the setups better. at worst why not 3 factory riders? just because you are the latest whiz doesnt mean you are better than the all of the other whizes. i think at the minimum should have given a little more notice. that was crappy the way honda waited till the end of the season like that. somehow i dont think colin impressed on himself that he was going to get the motogp ride. at the very least i think honda let him think he was going to get the ride. i liked how colin handled the news of his end with honda and commend him on his attitude with aprillia. i may be old school in my choice of riders but that is mine to make. on a side note. just because you are single doesnt mean you have less distractions. i can only imagine what a 20yr old could find on the gp scene.

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
I wasn't implying that Colin would have more distractions just that Nicky is VERY marketable to the ladies where a married man such as Colin would not be, and don't think that women aren't a huge draw in Moto GP cause they are. Uroupe is such a diffrent animal compared to North America.

Top Bottom