Connecting a video camera to the computer?

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
I have a Panasonic video camera that use the little tapes that you can put in a vcr tape like thing. It also has the flip out screen to watch it on the actual camera. And it has the cord that plugs into the vcr or tv coaxial ports. I have been told by a friend that they make a adapter that you plug the coaxil into and then it converts to usb. Is there such a thing? I would like to do some editing.

fng2moto

Oct 8, 2004
I know my old Sony HandyCam has an 'S video out' port. I bought an s-video cable so I could do the same on my laptop, then I realized my laptop only has an s video out too. I have to put in an s video 'in' port on the laptop. I have the software already to make movies.

As far as an adaptor to go to usb, that's new to me, might work better for me too

Just my 2 cents

Peace

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
You can go to a Circuit City or Best Buy type store and pick up the converter you are looking for. It will go from RCA or coax to USB. I know I've seen them there, but how well they work I couldn't say.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Ok guys, I'll try to help out here. First, are these analog or digital cameras that we are talking about here?

If they are analog, you will need one of the devices from circuit city or best buy. These are called analog capture devices. They will work with USB, but you need to know what kind of USB ports you have on your computer or laptop. The newer capture devices require USB 2.0 or higher wich communicates at a much higher speed than the orginal USB 1.0.

Know that dumping analog video into a computer is more dificult to work with than digital video. Captured analog video quality is only so-so at best.

If you have digital cameras, there's another port on your camera that you should be using. It's the IEEE 1394 Firewire output. Most cameras use the 4-pin jack. To get this into you computer you need a Firewire Capture card. For a desktop this is an internal card, or for a laptop you can get one in the form of a PCM/CIA card. They're cheep now, only about $40. There are also external devices just like that analog ones that will do digital formats, in fact, I think I have seen some that are compatible with both digital and analog formats, so you'll have to look around.

I use digital and firewire only, but I got my feet wet with an external analog device about 5 years ago. As I stated before, working with analog can be tempermental and frustrating. The best thing you can do is research on the internet. There's lots of DRN type boards out there full of home video editing junkies. Do a search and get reading. Then you will be able to decide what will best fit your needs. BTW, working with video requires HUGE hard drives. You can fill up a 40 - 80 gig drive in no time at all, about a dozen projects is all that will fit on there.

Top Bottom