Contents of Fredette KDX Setup & Maint. Video

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Michelle's post in another thread got me thinking. For anyone curious about what's on the Jeff Fredette KDX Setup and Maintenance Video, here's a listing of the topics covered.

Attachments

• frpvideo.gif
    frpvideo.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 650

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
did his book actually show details on how to disassemble the linkage to lube it and what tools are needed? and what about how to change fork springs and add new fork oil? i suppose to book is availalbe from him?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
It's not a book, it's a video. I don't recall that there's any detailed fork disassembly instructions. I think you'd be looking for a specialized suspension video (see link below). I thought the section on lubing the linkage was very good. Where Jeff excels is a passing along a bunch of interesting setup and prep tips that he's learned over his years of competition.

http://stores.dirtvideo.net/Search.bok?category=tech+videos

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Jeff also has separate video's for complete fork disassembly & rebuild, shock rebuild, and I believe engine overhaul. Have not seen any of them, so can't comment.

To echo BRush's comments, Jeff's seemingly offhand suggestions can be really valuable. I watched his tire changing section a couple times, took a few notes, then went out and changed my first tire in about 45 minutes working very methodically. After hearing horror stories of first time tire changing, I was happy to do it in less than an hour & not destroy the tube.:thumb:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
The videos that Jeff mentions are available from Eric Gorr (click on the icon on the left side of this page) but he may possibly stock them too.
The video is about 2.45 hours long, so it's very thorough. The original discussion came from the "KDX Service" thread where a few people discuss whether it's worth buying or not (no, not just me).

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
It'd be nice if this video was converted to DVD with an index built in. No more fast-forwarding / rewinding!

I sent Jeff an e-mail about this, but doesn't look like it will happen.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
BRush,

So all in all did you like it; did you learn some tips?
Also, how much $?

It's an excellent video. Particularly if you're interested in things to prep your bike and bulletproof it for competition. As others have said, the section on changing tires is really good. I was finally able to master the method of putting in the tube first and then installing the rim. You can read about it a hundred times, but I really needed to see it in order to "get" it. As to cost: I was lucky and spotted this on ebay, so I got the tape and a service manual for about $25. I later sold the manual for $10, so the tape cost me about $15. :yeehaw:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Braahp
I want the video badly, but $50 is way expensive for any video. I'd be glad to pay someone for a copy.
I agree that $50 is a little pricey for a video, but I believe that selling copies would be illegal. How would you feel if you had spent a lot of time, money, and effort to produce a video tape based of your years of professional experience, sold a few copies for $50, and then never sold another one because everyone just made copies and handed them out (or worse yet, sold them!)?

Even though the $50 seems high compared to other videos, I think a shop charges something like $40 to change a set of tires - just once! So if you can learn a handful of time/money saving tidbits like this, the video is a worthwhile investment - even at $50.

I just wish it was available on DVD; I would have already ordered one by now!

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Braahp, you can usually find a used one.

There are several former KDX'rs out there who've traded down to an orange bike, and need the extra money for kickstand bolts, new triple clamps, vibration dampers and such. :)

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Smit Dog do you download music and burn your own cd's? Just wondering. I'll be looking for a used one. Your right JayHawk it takes quite a bit of extra add ons to make the KTM's competitive with our green machines!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Braahp
Smit Dog do you download music and burn your own cd's? Just wondering. I'll be looking for a used one.
Ah..... no, I actually don't. No time with 3 little kids!

Not trying to bust your balls here man. It's just that the KDX video is a pretty unique product, put together and published by a guy who makes a living riding, tuning, and breathing KDXs. He's not some major video producer/company who is going to make a ton of money on the video. I think it's great he took the time to do it. And he probably wouldn't do another video like it in the future if everyone just copied it. I really couldn't care less if you copied/burned every music CD in your collection. I think the KDX video is a little different though.

And if you do happen to find a couple of used ones, let me know!

Gerg

May 7, 2002
Where can I buy the video? I don't see it on Jeff's website.

I'm thinking of getting it, importing it into iMovie on my Mac, then adding chapters, etc. and spitting it back out through iDVD onto a disc so I can easily navigate through it for reference.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I agree 100% about Jeff getting what is due to him for putting it together, but $50 is just too high. Volume selling is the key. I bet he'd sell twice as many if they were cheaper. I'd buy one for sure. Someone burn me a DVD and I'll mail Jeff his money..hows that. I'll have my eyes open for 2 used ones.

Jimbokdx

Oct 22, 2002
C'mon, Braahp.... buy the video. Video piracy is only morally OK if you do it a major video producer/company who is going to make a ton of money on the video.

I think that is the lesson I have learned here.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Gerg
Thanks, Smit-Dog. just bought it!
Did you talk to Jeff about making a DVD version?

Are you going to do it? If so, let me know - I'm still interested in the DVD version.

I also came across this web site: http://www.dephcon.com. They make DVDs from video. Perhaps Jeff can partner up with them if their prices are reasonable.

Thanks...

Top Bottom