Contradiction to "heat cycle" method for break-in

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

According to him, heat cycling is a myth and parts are already heat cycled at the factory and engines don't run hot enough to undergo this process. This person says the cylinder cross hatch pattern is designed to "sand" or "grind" down the rings in the first 20 or so miles of riding (so that the rings take the exact shape of cylinder walls), and to get the rings to press into the cylinder properly, you need to run it with bursts of full throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear. Lastly, he feels that if you ride the bike slowly at first, the cylinder will glaze and lose the cross-hatch pattern and you'll never have fully-seeling rings.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this as he offers some good info. Anyone disagree?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There is just too much crap in that article to even begin to respond to so I'm not even going to waste my time. This guy must write tech articles for MXA.

If you use a cast piston you can probably get away with his accelerated break in but I still wouldn't advise it. If you ever tried it with a forged piston, plan on a rebuild in the first 20 miles.

B

biglou

Actually ( :p ) I think there is some validity here, if I remember correctly. This article comes up every now and then. I remember the first time I saw it, I believe Rich said it would work, but there were a bunch of requirements. I'm sure I can't remember them all, or I'd take a stab at it. Doing it on the dyno may have been one of them.

ps: get back to work, Dave! ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…