Conventional Fork Question/Fork Braces

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I have an old KDX 175 that I intend to use as my summer bike (due to California's green sticker law). It has conventional forks, and skinny ones at that. Some people have suggested that I put an SRC Fork Brace on the bike. What does such a brace do? What are their benefits and their drawbacks? How come I don't see lots of them around?

Also, should I consider a brace for my new KDX 220 (which still has conventional forks and old fork technology) or would a re-valve be enough?

Thanks!!

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Apples and Oranges

Revalving (slam dunk on KDX 200/220 as Jer quoted) is updating 80's fork technology with modern components. Correct springs for your weight and revalving will help you get that 'plush' KDX suspension most KDX'ers desire.

Riding style plays a big role in your revalving design and approach, but most are fine with basic revalve and springs. More advanced riders may want to take a look at midvalves and adjustable rebound setups.

IMO,

Tight Woods, rocks, roots, square edges = Setup A
Light MX, Trails, 3rd gear plus = Setup B

Accomplishing the best of both words is somewhat impossible, so you often comprimise one way or the other for your riding style and ability.

YES, from the people I have spoken with including Jer the Summers fork brace does a nice job of restricting fork flex which is often a complaint with RSU forks.

Springs, then revalve, then fork brace if you feel you have too much flex. If you have not noticed excessive fork flex then you need not bother with the brace.....

Hope this helps. :)

Top Bottom