Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I don't wander in here often.

My thumper is a DS machine.

My first big bore was a XR650R, but it was too tall.

I recently purchased a new-to-me 2006 DR650 with 1053 miles on the ODO. I thought y'all might enjoy following along on the conversion to a more dirt worthy ride.

This is a photo in Big Bend recently. All that had been done as of then was swapping the tires ...

142554807-M.jpg

She was bone stock and very clean at that point.

I have a new-to-me Corbin seat and a new Aqualine Safari 8.9 gallon gas tank that will be going on next. I will post up photos after the swap.

Yes, the tank is huge and I should be able to get 300+ miles out of a tank. That can be a plus in many places I intend to roam on this bike. She and I will take an extended trip into Mexico in the next year or so ... solo.

Gotta learn the lingo though, first.

dr650se

Apr 26, 2007
I had an 06 just like that 1 till the jerk cut in front of me at 40mph.bike was totaled. so I bought a black 07 this year :) .so far all I have for it is a Suzuki rack on the back,Rox 2'' bar risers with a pad,& pro taper bars. will have to save some cash to get other goodies. :cool:

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
lingo is as follows:
cerveza = beer
taco = taco
mujer = woman
cabron = good friend :)

Jk about that last one

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Stage two of the journey ...

152893485-M.jpg

I installed an Aqualine 8.9 gallon tank and Corbin seat.

The seat feels a bit odd, but that might be because my butt is dead from riding my KTM. The Corbin moves the pressure points outward a considerable amount.

The Aqualine is nice. I have not carried more than about 5 gallons as yet, so I don't know if the 8.9 gallon capacity will affect handling.

Next up is opening up the airbox and installing a jet kit. I have heard that will wake up the engine a great deal. I am resisting changing the original exhaust system. I have heard that the FMF Q2 is almost 10 lbs lighter. The stock system is very quiet, which is good.

Springs, front and rear, will follow the engine work.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you only put in 7 gallons of fuel it will be like 8.9 gallons and the FMF :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
letsride24-7 said:
Holly cow!! I never saw a gas station on wheels?? :laugh:

Na that looks like a nice bike. only time i ever see 300+ miles in on my Harley or CBR..

She goes by the name El Petrolero ... thank you very much ... which loosely translates as The Oil Tanker

Please don't laugh, she is sensitive about her hips being too wide.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Patman said:
If you only put in 7 gallons of fuel it will be like 8.9 gallons and the FMF :)

I have considered that, but as I said, she is quiet ... quiet is good.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That's what I ment, the added weight of the stock exhaust is offset by the 2 gallons of fuel which would equal about 10 pounds.

So is the tank really wide when you ride or is it possible to stand up, get forward etc...?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Patman said:
That's what I ment, the added weight of the stock exhaust is offset by the 2 gallons of fuel which would equal about 10 pounds.

So is the tank really wide when you ride or is it possible to stand up, get forward etc...?

The tank is wide, but not too bad.

I will post some photos from the cockpit.

It is a bit wide, but some of that I attribute to my Asterisk braces.

Moving forward on the tank is not a problem, but my knees do feel a bit wider than normal.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Awesome project Tony.

Wish I was going with you. :cool:

The only part of the language you will need to know is;
Mas cerveza and porfavor.

Be careful though, I heard with the price of gasoline, people are hijacking gas tankers. :whoa:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom