Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I'm out looking for a van to use as a bike hauler/garage. A fellow road racer has an 87 chev. conversion van (no high top) for sale. He converted it to haul one bike but you can get two in it. It has 3 captains chairs. the two up front and one behind the driver. What worries me is it has three "Picture windows" on the drivers side. these seem to say break me and see whats inside and steal me. Iwas thinking of a std cargo van but i wouldlike something comfy. also how difficult is it to add crusiecontrol to a rig that doesn't have it. i like that button on long distance hauls. Most older vans don't have it.

What are your thoughts about a van w/too much "glass"

lets see if this works

For picture
http://home.attbi.com/~murfracing/Album/The-Van.JPG

one benefit of that paint job is he said is if your tooling along everyone thinks it's an ambulance and gets out of your way!!

Last edited:

CIER

Sep 13, 1999
I have a 86 Window van. It is my rolling storage unit. Bike normally spends most of its time in there. With one bike, the bars shouldn't be close to the windows. The windows have dark tint, so it is hard to see in there, so I don't really worry about it. A 16 year old conversion van would probably gather less attention than a cargo van, which says "Look inside, I might have expensive cargo."

Jim

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
A nice heavy tint and then if you are really worried, rivet/weld/bolt expanded steel inside the glass. The stuff is cheap and can't be cut with wire cutters. Avoid stickers on the outside that indicate what might be inside. Even a gas can on the roof can be a giveaway. The beauty of the conversion vans is that they are ususally more insulated against road noise and offer more luxury features than a panel van.

bushpilot

Dec 29, 1999
You can see what is in any van through the windshield or door glass. My 85 has glass all the way around and hasn't been broken into in 235,000 miles. I would worry more about the condition of the engine and drivetrain.

Wayne

Top Bottom