cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I want to get an off road bike for riding in the woods that is also street legal. I love my 2005 CRF450R but I am getting the itch to get a new CRF450R in 2009 (nothing like a fresh bike). Since I mainly ride motocross, my thought was to convert my R to an X and use the money to buy a new R. I just did the piston, rings, kibblewhite valves and springs, cam chain tensioner, etc on the R so I believe the motor has lots of life left. Is it as simple as doing the following:
1. Install an X cam
2. Install a flywheel weight
3. Get the stator re-wound
4. Install a kit to meet street requirements.
5. Soften up suspension

Has anybody done this recently? Any tips or pitfalls would be appreciated. I just want a good woods bike that I can take once in a while and do some organized trail rides.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The valves and ports in the R are sized all wrong for use with the X cam.

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
Ok, that's good to know. The local Honda shop told me it would fit so I thought it would be a good mod. Unbelievable...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It will physically fit, it's just the timing the X cam uses that is all wrong.

A better choice for good low end power is the Stage One HotCam.

Electrex USA has a plug compatible lighting coil that drops right in, and they sell the Dakar dual sport kits that make it easy to get the DOT requirements met. For off-road (as well as on), a Rekluse auto-clutch is a better choice in my opinion than a flywheel weight.

Top Bottom