converting a fmx bike back to mx

brapbrap

Jan 14, 2008
i bought a old bike(03rm250two) from jason rowe,the pro fmx rider.he broke his leg on it, and must be suspesious or somthing, so i picked it up.it has 3-pr suspension rebuild.im 200 lbs, and this thing feels over sprung but i dont realy know anything about dirtbike suspension.i tried to soften up the compression to my liking,but didnt mess with it much. and it just feels too stiff on the spring.i think the .046 is the heaviest fork spring and its at least that and the shock spring is red.the bike was also wreecked hard,so could the forks be bent or somthing? they dont leak at all.when i crank down on the wratcheting tie straps when i load it up, the shocks compress about 1 1/2-2 inches.
where do i start fixing this?i ride very slow and im learning,so i want the suspension to be very soft for my 200 lbs.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
you dont want it to be to soft. my set up it tuned for a 160lbs rider and it goes down a good amount when i pull down on my tie downs. you could go to mx-tech.com and go to the spring generator to give you an idea of what the front and rear should be. do you think if you contacted that guy you got it from he would know or did he have someone do it for him? why would you buy a bike that was wrecked really bad? and exactly how bad is it and how fast or high was he going when he crashed?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you set the rear sag it should tell you where you are at, spring wise. After the back is set the front should follow. You may need to loosen up the triple clamps and axle, making sure everything is lined up properly. And then torque everything back up. With the front wheel off the ground, check the schrader valve for air.

kybsuspenders

Mar 4, 2008
Check the oil level in the forks. It is posible that for FMX the forks have more oil and possibly a heavier weight oil to help absorb heavy landings. The springs should have notches marked on the top, this will tell you what spring option you have. If this doesn't help then the forks may have had the setting valves changed - this is not an area that you should explore yourself if you don't have prior experience. Take it to a suspension shop.

Top Bottom