Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
My dad used to ride dirtbikes all the time when he was younger. Then when I was born he started riding ATV's and I have had ATV's since I was about 6. Now, recently he bought a Harley and is a Die-Hard Harley guy and he goes on rides every freakin weekend. I want to convince him to spend time with me again on dirtbikes and to come to the track with me.

How would YOU go about convincing someone to ride again? :think:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Worry about the track later, work on the riding together first. I would suggest approaching it diplomatically...
Dad...I'd really like to learn how to ride a motorcycle in the trails. Could you show me and teach me?

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Tried that. And his reply was. "I've spent my time on the trails with you already. You aren't an idiot and know how to ride motorcycles."

He also asked me when he would ever ride a dirtbike.
I said, "When you're not on a ride on your Harley..
And he said, "Exactly, that's what I bought it for. To Ride, A lot."

I guess it's no use. :yell:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
How 'bout just shooting straight from the hip. Tell him it would mean alot to you because you want to do something to spend more time with him and bond. Hell, tell him you want to ride Harley's with him.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
yeah, like green horn said...

Say what you want... tell him that it would me alot to him if he was to go riding with you. And give him the look as if you really mean it(which you do)...

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
I'm sorry to hear that Aryain.

Don't give up too soon. I agree about shooting straight. Should that fail the light touch will go a long way.

He can't be that bad a guy if you still want to ride with him. ;) He's having his fun with his toy, and that's hopefully keeping him young and alive inside.

Families are silly that way. Just keep it positive and stay enthused with what you are doing. Don't shut him out, or become too resentful, because that will make him want to go off on his Harley all the more. Grown ups are just big kids in wrinkled skin.

You guys like the same things so you are more than half way there. Hopefully it'll come.

Find a way to share his interest in his Harley (and his Harley friends). Don't be afraid to share your love of the dirt (in a non threatening) way with him. Just grooving on stuff is contagious.

Lastly, be really patient. It's kind of like ignoring a cat. They'll pester the heck out of you if you do.

Okay, dumb analogy, but it's the best I got. I hope he comes around... If not, don't let it spoil your love of the dirt!!! :cool:
You're gonna meet some great people and have the time of your life. :ride:

Last edited:

CRASH39

Mar 4, 2007
Well I am not sure if I am much help here, But I will give it a shot... I just did a race, actuly my first race in a long time ( got a post on it ) My son was at the track too and race as well in his class. After all he is 8 yrs old. Won his first trophy while I fought a track with new kinds of jumps ( 90 degree typs, oh boy...). But the dirt is in my blood, and could not help it. My 8 yr old walks of with a trophy for first place in his class and never been on a track. All in all, my 5yr old just wants to trail ride, no racing. I ride with both of them just for the fun and admit when I look back and see them fallowing me, can't help but to smile, cause they are having fun with their dad. Like green horn said, bonding. Just because the 5yr old dosen't want to race dosen't mean we can't cruise about in the trails.
so some how try to explain to him what your looking for. and if he says he is too old, BS. I found out at the track I was in the wrong class. I was in 125C and I should have been in the 30's + cause I am 39. And a 50 yr old man who was racing pointed that out. your gonna have to feel him out to find the right way to convince him...good luck, ride on...

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Like has been pointed out just shoot straight. Also realize you are pushing for things to be your way and your dad appears to be wanting things his way (perhaps a bit childish). Look for some middle ground. If he doesn't want to do the dirt thing and you can't or don't want to ride on the street ask him what you can do together. Maybe it's work on building a car, scrabble, target shooting or maybe it's gardening? Both of you need to look at it being something you can do together and that is more important than the actual activity.

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
Patman said:
LMaybe it's work on building a car, scrabble, target shooting or maybe it's gardening? Both of you need to look at it being something you can do together and that is more important than the actual activity.

A very good reminder to all of us who want to spend more time with someone we value. Thanks Patman. :cool:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
hmmm. Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner... Guess I got tripped up by the whole dad-son male bonding, kids who don't want to bond with the parents, parents who don't want to bond with their kids thing... but..

If you have a mom- Have ya ever considered asking her along? Taking her to the track? Encouraging her to ride dirt with you? Sounds like your dad thinks you are more than able to do a few things...

Just wondering if while you're busy being ignored by your dad if there isn't someone else out there dying for your attention who would have a blast if you asked her. ;)

Just a thought. Still can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't think of that sooner. Must have had one of those non-totally self absorbed moments. Lol.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Buy the DVD of "Wild Hogs" and give it your dad!

Seriously, though, there may be many reasons why your dad won't do dirt bikes with you. Some may be valid, others selfish. There is no way that we can make that sort of call.

You said that he used to do dirt bikes, then switched to ATVs, then stopped altogether. I know a number of people that did the same thing. The ones I am familiar with stopped riding because their bodies wouldn't take the abuse anymore. It isn't a lot of fun to ride when your knees or back hurt going over every bump and then you are in pain for a week afterwards.

I wish I could give you a better answer.

Good luck,
Rod

Top Bottom