crashin' hard

Dec 28, 2004
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this site. Thanks in advance ofr any help!

I crashed and cracked the radiator on my CR, unfortunately I did not know about the problem until after a long ride. Well, I overheated the bike and screwed it up.

I thought it was just a head gasket (and I think I was right). I pulled the head off and saw that the gasket was damaged. But I continued with the top end rebuild since I was in the engine. I saw that there was coolant everywhere. When I removed the cylinder I saw that there was a lot of coolant in the crank assembly.

I can clean everything in the top end no problem, but does anyone have a suggestion for the coolant in the crank? I was thinking about pulling the engine and turning it upside down. Obviously, this would leave some residue inside the bottom end. Would that be a problem?

Again thanks. I have never worked on a dirtbike engine before.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
just flip the bike upside down and kick crank it over with the plug out. Been in your situation before, pretty simple task to do, also drain the gear oil and you should be fine.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
WOW!!! that's a scary proposition...turn the bike over and kick it over.....

That sounds like the answer to - "i crashed my bike in deep water and sucked in water..."....this guy crashed and broke a radiator and continued to ride until the cylinder heated up to the wazzoo and blew out the head gasket.....

sounds to me like you blew the gasket and still had some coolant circulating and it made its way into the cylinder...do me a quick favor - what does the tranny oil look like? drain it...if it looks like a delicious malt milkshake, odds are the crank seal on the clutch side went too.....doubt it - but all things considered, you're on the right track....pull the motor, flip it and flush it out as best you can....then QUICKLY - get some oil down onto the crank and its bearings....coolant is water/anti freeze....and water and your bearings? you guessed it...not a good match....get it flushed and lubed NOW.....then make sure the cylinder plating is good and get a new top end in there....

Hope that helps!

crashin' hard

Dec 28, 2004
Thanks for the input.

The tranny fluid actually looked just fine (although it was a little low). I will pull the engine and flip it over. It's almost there anyway.

So the only thing I need to woory about is getting oil back in it quick? The residue from the coolant shouldn't be a problem?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
I wouldn't be too concerned....if you are draining it all - then blow it out with some compressed air and putting her back together and its going to be run soon, you'll be fine....its with people like me who take a bike apart and then get sidetracked...if it sits, it will get rusty for sure....if you drain, rebuild and run, the gas/oil mix will relube it all up....you could also drain it and slosh some gas (with oil) in there....get her good and circulated, dump that and then button it up.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
hell dump it in there spin the crank and leave it sitting until you get to it. I mean you don't have to fill it to the brim but make sure the bearings are covered...you know what I mean? good luck.

Top Bottom