WOTRider

Mar 14, 2007
First off I have a 2000 CR 250.

After Riding pretty hard for about 20-30 miles i Lose about an ounce of coolant.

is this somewhat normal?

what are the possible conditions that could have caused this?

anyway im just wondering if i will be ok to ride this weekend.

what is Possibly wrong with my bike?

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Depending on where you are starting at as far as coolant level an ounce is not to bad. I am assuming you are topping it off each time you check and see it is low and then you are cooking off some as the coolant heats up and expands. if you never top it off and loose an ounce everytime that would mean some type of problem.
In our bikes we keep the coolant just slightly above the internal core when cold otherwise it just drains to that level anyways

WOTRider

Mar 14, 2007
no oil in the coolant.

could just be me freaking out it seems to be at about the level of the cores anyway every time. Its a new bike, (got it last friday) and i am learning this whole 2 stroke thing.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
An ounce ain't bad at all. But if its bothering you that much i would double check all the hoses and look are your head for any possible signs of leaks. Check around your water pump gasket to and see if you see any coolant residue.

But honestly i wouldn't worry about it to much.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Are you trail riding or riding on a track?

Track riding is generally done at speed, which provides plenty of radiator airflow.

Trail riding, on the other hand, is generally slower and can limit radiator airflow, resulting in overheating and coolant loss.

If you're trail riding the bike, you might want to consider adding a coolant recovery tank like you have on a car (or streetbike or offroad bike) so that any coolant overflow is captured in the tank and can be sucked back in when it cools down.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom