trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
For some reason, the coolant level drops while I'm riding. There are no external leaks whatsoever and no coolant escapes from the small hole at the bottom of the waterpump. The transmission oil is not white or greyish in color. This being said, I think the waterpump seals are ok. I cannot remark any white smoke while I'm riding. So where goes the coolant? Another thing I've remarked is that I always seem to add approximately the same amount of coolant, regardless of if I ran a 5 min heat or 20 min heat. Any ideas? The bike never used to take any coolant.

All input is appreciated, thanks!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I haven't measured it precisely, but I'd say roughly around 200 ml.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It drops 200ml in 5 minutes? :yikes: Holy sh*t. I would think you have a blown gasket. Tear it down asap.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
It does drop, but stays at a certain level (regardless of 5 min or 20 min heat). If my head gasket was the problem, wouldn't it take all of it? Is this dangerous for the cylinder or the valves?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Whatever it might be, no.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Are you sure you aren't overfilling the radiator? What you are describing is the normal sequence of events that come from overfilling .

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
I'd say that the radiator hose that connects both radiators at the top is loose.
This will cause it to leak at pressure until the level is below that hose.
Just go over the hoses with a screw driver or whatever you need to tighten the clamps. It could even be worth replacing some of the hoses if they are old and cracked.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Rich Rohrich said:
Are you sure you aren't overfilling the radiator? What you are describing is the normal sequence of events that come from overfilling .

I pour in liquid until the radiator is full, and alloy the excess to evacuate by the overflow hose installed for this purpose. After riding, the level has dropped to a bit beneath where I can't see it anymore. It always used to stay full. Engine and trans oil are all good, so sign of any whitish color.

I was thinking the coolant could be taking expansion from the heat and could be leaving by that same overflow hose. I remember once seeing a few drops coming out of that hose after a heat. Now why is it doing this now, and not before?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
rushy08 said:
I'd say that the radiator hose that connects both radiators at the top is loose.
This will cause it to leak at pressure until the level is below that hose.
Just go over the hoses with a screw driver or whatever you need to tighten the clamps. It could even be worth replacing some of the hoses if they are old and cracked.

Sounds very possible. I'll check that out.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Watch the overflow hose as the bike warms up. You'll probably see the water there. If you fill the radiator to the top with water, it will expand the first time it warms up and get pushed out the overflow tube. I would only be concerned if it continues to drop after subsequent rides. The water level in most radiators seems to settle out slightly over the top of the core.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
you need to bleed the system- get all the air out then check it- ride check it again-
if you have air trapped in it it will become a steam problem/ then low on water ,and will run hotter,then will steam out even more fluid-

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I'll check that out next weekend if I get a chance to ride. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom