tristan68

Mar 14, 2001
When my bike gets warmed up ,it starts puking out anti-freeze. It had about half of what it should have had in it when I checked it after riding. It never did get HOT, such as spewing out the fluid like a volcano, and ran perfect. No seizing either of course. So I put in fresh 50-50 mix and it still does its thing. Also, after it sat awhile I removed the cap and there was pressure still remaining, which is a very good sign, but actually confused me more. Any ideas?

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Is that a sign of a main seal leaking or head gasket?

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Sounds like a head-gasket to me. Try running the bike with the radiator cap off and see if there are any bubbles in the coolant.

tristan68

Mar 14, 2001
if it is the head gasket would there still be pressure when i take off my radiator cap after it sits awhile? the fluid is still clean too.

cdtbrown

Sep 4, 2003
i have the exact same problem on a 92 cr125. i think the head gasket is needing replaced as there is an oily stain on the barrel beside the cylinder head. ive ordered a new gasket and i will let you know how it goes when i get it installed

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I would say yes there would still be pressure. Do you notice any other problems? Be careful running it with a blown gasket...this could allow water into the cylinder.

D3sert Rat

Sep 21, 2005
Alright guys, here it is. Ive had the same problem with my 1995 cr125. It leaks coolant at high rpms, actually... it shoots it like a squirt gun. I've looked at the coolant after running the bike and i can see bubbles and i watch the overflow tube and it has smokey bubbles in it too. I figured it was the head gasket, so i replaced it. It stopped, but i went to glamis, and it did it agin, so far i have gone through 3 head gaskets. Im thinking that I have a warped head. It must be a manufacturing flaw because ive found things on coolant leaks on mid-90's cr125's the most of all bikes. So im going to get my head machined flat again. Try a new head gasket, and torque the head to factory spec. Ill let you know if the machinist i know tells me that it is warped.

By the way ive heard that '93-'97 Cr125's are the fastest year. Is this true?

D3sert Rat

Sep 21, 2005
dang, i had a great idea today. Why should i take my cylinder head and wait a day for it to be machined for free? I could just go and buy some yamabond (high temp gasket maker) and put that crap between the cylinder and the gasket and the cylinder head and the gasket. Being ghetto never helped anyone, so i dont know why i thought it would work here, because it didnt. Now i have wasted 11 bucks on yamabond and i have to take of my cylinder head again and clean all of the crap off of it so the machinist dosnt make fun of me.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
By the way ive heard that '93-'97 Cr125's are the fastest year. Is this true?

Don't forget 92'....The CR was so much stronger than every 125 back then..Stock or modified no 125 could touch a 92' or 93' CR125..Unfortunately the headshake was hard o dial out...

Jun 12, 2005
I dono if this is bad but wen i got my bike i just topped off my radiator with water! But the color is green so i dono. I only put in like 3-4 oz of water in. Hey my 91 hauls some serious ass too. I would include the 91 CR 125 as one of the top years aswell.

D3sert Rat

Sep 21, 2005
yes, the early 90's cr125's are fast. My friend got an '03 ktm125sx and i had to show him whats up. So... i topped off my radiators and dragged him down the street, and i smoked him. It definatly wasnt good for my bike with the ghetto head and all... but im hoping that i can sell it cheap and my parents will pop for a newer 125. (that usually dosnt work)

crashin' hard

Dec 28, 2004
I did a search on a problem I was having and I came across this post. I hope some of you guys who posted on this a while ago found your problem and can share.

On my 96 cr250 I did the top end after cooking the head gasket. Everything went well except after the first ride I saw a little seepage around the head and realized I did not torque the head bolts down good enough. I fixed that and last time I rode I saw that after about an hour I started loosing coolant out of the overflow tube, it was really pukiing out at about half throttle. Does this sound like the head gasket again or something else entirely different? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Machining is best,But if it's not warped bad you can lay a peace of 400 wet-dry sandpaper on a peace of glass(or something perfectly flat) and keeping pressure on the head make figer 8's. It will show how bad the warpage is and if kept up you can get the warp out!!

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
I wouldent use glass... Glass isnt perfectly flat... its usualy damn close... but its not flat...

Use a surface plate...

or if you have access to a surface grinder flatten a chunk of steel, get some of the sticky sand paper, and use that

Crzyfrlss1

Apr 5, 2006
john3_16 said:
Don't forget 92'....The CR was so much stronger than every 125 back then..Stock or modified no 125 could touch a 92' or 93' CR125..Unfortunately the headshake was hard o dial out...

This is probably for different thread, but did you ever figure out how to dial out that headshake.

Mine is so bad it's scary.

OK...back on topic, yeah sounds like a head gasket problem. The proper torque wrench is your friend in this case.

yellow725

May 1, 2006
Why take the head to a machinist when you can surface it your self, get a piece of glass and 600 sandpaper. Tape the sandpaper to the glass and rotate the head in a figure 8. You can tell when the head surface has is uneven there will be dark spots where the the sandpaper didnt shine up , repete untill there is no more dark spots

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
yellow725 said:
Why take the head to a machinist when you can surface it your self, get a piece of glass and 600 sandpaper. Tape the sandpaper to the glass and rotate the head in a figure 8. You can tell when the head surface has is uneven there will be dark spots where the the sandpaper didnt shine up , repete untill there is no more dark spots

That was already said....

But glass is not a good choice! no matter what

dirtbikegeek

Apr 14, 2006
But glass is not a good choice! no matter what

Why do you think they make mirrors out of glass.If you have to,break a mirror and use it so that you know that it is perfactly flat.

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
Glass is not perfectly flat... it can warp....

dont believe me? you need to start learning!

Have you ever put a piece of glass down on a table... and put a little pressure on it? it conforms to the table...

But go ahead... mess Ur stuff up...

crashin' hard

Dec 28, 2004
I don't think that the hear is warpped. Thanks Crzyfrlss1 I will replace the head gasket AND make sure I torque the head bolts down right. I think you're right, I don't think I torqued them right after my top end rebuild.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Seems like you got your answer, but I'd say try just replacing the head gasket on its own. Chances are with the head nuts loose a track was burned across the head gasket, even with the nuts tightened that track would still be there so the coolant system is becoming pressurised and causing coolant to come out the overflow.
Tracks getting burned across the head gasket on CRs was a VERY common problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom