Cooperland Pre-Ride for DW

B

biglou

Let's see, pre-DW ride at Cooperland with DRN'ers-How could I resist?! I had four folding tables for DW that I could bring down and save that trouble for the actual DW pilgrimage, too. Then, Stan and I are dealing on the kTm. I get to thinking, "How 'bout I bring down and you ride it for the day. If you like it. Take it with you? Leave that cute 600 with the streamers and bell at Thump's?" The plan is in place. It took some creative packing, to say the least, to get both the 426 and the kTm loaded along with four 30x72 tables that fold in the middle, but I managed. The good thing was, that with any luck, the load would be about 400 lbs. lighter on the return trip. So I pull up to the gate about 945 or so, Milky rides over and shows me the "Secret Entrance" into Casa del Brownie", and I am in. Wow, it's hot already: mid-90's. I was listening to Car Talk on the local OSU station out of Stillwater, and it was calling for 103 for the high. Ouch. Add to that the fact that KC has been breaking heat records left and right, with only one day in the 90's in the past eight days. The rest were inthe 104-107 range. Anywho, I hear rumblings that Thump isn't going to make it. "Please tell me you're joking?" "Nope". Well dang. Looks like the punkin is going home with me. That means dragging a trailer to DW despite my best efforts to purge the inventory prior to that. Then, a white GMC is at the main gate, and Milk goes off again to show the way to the secret entrance. It's Taraker! And he has Stan in the cab with him. At this point, I begin to question Grady's judgement-Letting stan go out of state with Matt and all... Now, to the riding: The track was shortened considerably, with the back section cut off-the "woods" turn, into the back corner that twists around and eventually leads to the step-up. Other than that, it was all there. One problem-Things are hardpacked and very dry. Not any fault of Brownie's, mind you. He has made some huge improvements to the place. I also noticed there are now signs directing you in starting at Hwy51 and Coyle Rd. Kudos. Well, after working up a serious sweat unloading bikes, tables, gear, EZ-up, etc. We headed out. The biggest change to the parts we could ride was the rythm section. The tabletop that was in the middle of it is gone, and the first two jumps leading into the section have been built up considerably. I was going to do a helmetcam lap, but couldn't find the velcro I bought at Radio Shack to attach the cam to the helmet. Oh well, it was so freakin' hot that I wasn't too disappointed about that. We rode, 4-7 laps at a shot, then came in to pant like old men, drink water, tell stories, etc. Days like this just prove one thing to me-Even under less than ideal conditions, I always have a great time hanging with the DRN crowd. 103 degree heat, dry, hardpacked track, 300+ mile drive, and I still had an exellent time! Can't wait for DW! Five more weeks! On the drive back, through northern OK and southeast KS, the temp reading in the truck actually hit 107 for a time, and held steady at 106 for about an hour. It was almost 7:00 before the temp dropped to 99, and at 8:00, when I got home, it was still a balmy 90-something. Unreal. No end in sight either. Oh well, watcha gonna do? We tried taking pictures, but it was just miserable to stand around in your gear in the heat waiting for the photo op. I managed to get a few good shots of Milky and Yardraker, though. Stan was busting big on the kTm, whipping it sideways like RC and tripling in and out of the rythm section, but he wouldn't do it for the camera... ;)

Just one question for you all: Can you even imagine what it's like hanging out with Milk and Taraker together?:scream: Factor in the heat exhaustion factor and it's quite the show! :laugh:
Here's some pics of the dynamic duo in action: Click1, Click2, Click3

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
My GAWD, but that looks like fun!  I can't wait to get back there.  Lou, where did you take the pics at, the scoring hut?  So how exactly did the wooded area leading up to the step up change.... :think: I'm trying to remember each turn and table top and curve and my memory is failing me. :(

Not too much longer and we'll all be there! :yeehaw:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
FOX Sports had a 54321 marathon yesterday, and one of the shows featured Guy Cooper playing at Cooperland. I immediately recognized the track, and Cooper, too. I've only been to CL once, but I knew exactly where Coop was riding.

I can't believe you guys went to Cooperland without the rest of us. :whiner:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
YIKES! I hope those jumps don't send EVERYONE that high in the air!

Great pics though! I can't wait for Dirtweek!!!!!

B

biglou

Nat-Those pics were on the second or third of the four big tabletops along the back stretch. If I remember, after that, the track used to cut left, with lots of trees around, then right, down and up, then a left hand 180 and drop down into an uphill then toward the monster step-up. After that, RH 180, down the hill, LH 180, then the uphill double leading to the rythm section behind the tower and on to the right hander and over the finish line, etc.

Remember the really off-camber right hander immediately after the finish? It was packed like GLASS yesterday! It was scary. Other than that, I almost ate it in the new and improved rythm section by landing cross-rutted. I actually dabbed my left foot hard (not good), rolled the throttle as I was slipping off the back... I may have even got some air over the next jump as I was holding on for dear life. Then I proceeded to plow into the top of the camelback right behind the start gate. :silly: I finished that lap out and decided to take a water break before I killed myself.

Even though it was hard and slick, and the ruts were dried like concrete, I can emphatically say this: "PK, be afraid. Be very afraid..." Click. :p

Squeaky-Wait till you see Billy and Coop and Dr.D. ride. It gives me goosebumps. They go HUGE and rarely come off the rev limiter. It is truly amazing and awe-inspiring for mere mortals such as myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I don't remember anything about the track except the starting gate. I never got to ride a lap. :whiner: Maybe this year I will ride a lap before trying a creek bed. :)

Great stuff, Lou!! FYI, It was 104 when I finished the HHH.

XR3J

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 7, 2001
Lou

I was standing at the flagger stand at the big step up when the good Dr. was warming up last year.  Every time he hit that thing he would do a lookback at me.  That was pretty neat in my book. :thumb:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
*Yawn* Nice try Lou. I know that you can start better than me. The only time I get behind a gate is at DW.
I already told you that you can have the first corner. I'll take the rest! Plus, as far as I remeber you are 0-2 in the Grudge match dept! :p

Have no fear Squeaky, Lou will show you how to roll all of the jumps :)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Originally posted by Papakeith
Have no fear Squeaky, Lou will show you how to roll all of the jumps :)
:laugh:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
BWaaahhahaha!
Lou! you are a funny man!
:worship: this guy pays homage to your singular wit!

Hey, how's this grab ya?
If I lose to you Lou, I will let you shave a yet to be determined slogan/logo on my head.
Care to up the ante? :aj:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I heard that they have a new Krispy Kremes in Stillwater now.  Could make for and interesting race.  Who will have the Will Power!

:scream:

Top Bottom