Copper washer behind the expansion chamber

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Hello everyone on this forum....

I have been visiting this forum for some time, but i have not posted until now. I was not sure if i was going to keep my KDX after buying my third dirt bike ( a KTM 450-EXC)...i know...i know ..three dirt bikes ,but you can never have enough of a good thing.

Anyways i just finished doing the top end and cleaning the KIPS.My bike is a 99 220 and the piston hardly had any wear on it!!! Thank you Bel-Ray H1R oil!!! The kips was pretty easy to do also.

I have done very little to it until now( did'nt have to ,bike ran great stock) .I will be adding an FMF gnarly woods ,boysen power reeds and some other goodies.

My question right now ,before i forget is ...which way does the copper crush washer face in the exhaust port?? I have a new one and one side is flat and the other is semi round .Which side faces the pipe?? I think its the round side ,but any help here would be appreciated.The one that was in there is now flattened, so it's hard to tell.

I own my own machine shop and have made many parts for my bikes ,including triple clamps ,sprockets and much more. I will have a web site up soon, but in the meantime some pics can be seen at KTMTalk.com under photogallery,parts and mods and under my name Machinist. Until i can post some pics here,that is where you can see them.I will be making some clamps for the KDX and will post them when done. I have a few other ideas in mind for the KDX that i will also show when done. :thumb:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Nobody out there have an answer for me on this??? 42 veiws by now ,i thought someone might know by now. I just recieved my FMF pipe this afternoon, and pre-installed it with the old "O" rings and copper washer just to see how things fit. I only needed to slot the bottom rubber mount to get things to fit,not bad considering what i have read here about FMF fitting troubles. I do notice that the pipe is very close to the lower rad hose.Anyone else notice this??? I think i will rap the hose with some heat shielding for go measure.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I always install a new copper gasket/washer every year or so. They are cheap and I never have leaks. Wrapping the rad hose in some heat tape would be a good idea too. I do it both my bikes on any hoses near the pipe.

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Thank you very much guy's!!! :worship: :thumb: I knew someone would have an answer sooner or later. I suspected that the round side should face the expansion chamber,it's just that the manual makes no reference to it.

Has anyone checked out my pictures on KTMtalk.com???? Can someone tell me how to post pics on this site. I can't even access my profile settings or anything else. I keep getting a message saying that i don't have authorization :ugg: I might have to email admin on this one...Thank's again for the help... :thumb:

fxmatt

Mar 22, 2002
KTMtalk is a very cool website. How do you like your 450? I just read the Dirt Rider test on the new KTM 300 E/XC and it sounds like the ultimate machine..

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
I agree....KTMTalk is a really cool site :thumb: They have close to 15 000 members now and everyone gets along real fine.The pictures i have posted there are only of my Suzuki right now as my 450-EXC is mostly stock right now.

As for liking the 450...well... what's there not to like.Those bikes like all KTM's are built to race right out of the box.It's light ,has awesome ergo's ( all models are very similar) and has a sweet motor. Mind you it is imperitive that they be re-jetted, as they are way to lean stock.Most guy's swap for an OCEMN needle ,but the James Dean jetting kit is even better.

If you are considering a 250 or 300 KTM 2 stroke ,you won't be dissapointed.Mind you i still like my KDX very much ,since i like to have a 2 stroke in my garage,but the KTM is in a different class. Kawasaki has been content to leave the bike as is for many years because it is cheap to make and appeals to a large audience...I actually was considering a 200 EXC 2 stroke before i tore into my KDX, but decided to get a little more from the Kawi. With the mods i am doing to it, it should make me happy... :thumb:

Machinist

Feb 9, 2004
Hey Wibby...Thanks for the link to that thread. I was not aware that you needed to become a subscriber to even access your personal settings.This is the first forum i have come accross that has this feature, but i agree it's a good one to keep track of operating costs. Thank's again ,and i will look into it.

Top Bottom