mg89

Mar 11, 2006
I ride in the woods and their are a lot of short, narrow, sharp, and unexpected turns. I don't know if my turning is all that well but can someone explain the proper way to doing those turns. I kind of know how the counterbalancing thing works, but I lose it when it comes to puting my inside foot down. Can somebody please give me some tips/insturctions on proper turning.

Thanks

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Go chase rabbits through the brush. You wont feel like you are making improvements until you become a little more comfortable with throwing the bike around and giving it more throttle. It depends on what kind of traction you have as to how you will deal with a tight turn. I couldn't make progress with it what so ever until I chased rabbits through the junipers and sage brush in the sand mixed with dirt patches. I hade as much fun as I ever have had ridding and learned to turn more/better in a few hours than months of constantly consiously trying to learn. Yes most my ridding is in the mountains like yours. So now I cant wait to go hit some mountain trails with my new found abilities and confidence. Don't try so hard and just have fun at it.

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
Try riding a section over and over till you get fast on it. You can even do it on a Mx track. When you get good on one section do a different section till you feel like you ar going good. Then work in some longer trail runs. A very good way to gain speed.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Go to Wally World and pick up some orange cones, they are in the sporting goods section. Lay out some similar chicanes in your back yard and practice hitting them both directions with a tight 180 at each end.

geraldo

Oct 12, 2004
I like to set up a small rectangle and try to do figure eights in them. You will be surprised at how much tighter you get. This also improves engine control with the clutch.

1994WR250Chad

Mar 19, 2006
If you want to reward your self aT the end of your TURN training session, instead of using Cones, try using full Soda Cans, Full water bottles, or even BEER in the Cans.

As you get better, you will get to drink more of your favorite beverage. When you screw up.... Cans get run over and u loose your beverageS.

JUST A THOUGHT.
G/L

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
1994WR250Chad said:
If you want to reward your self aT the end of your TURN training session, instead of using Cones, try using full Soda Cans, Full water bottles, or even BEER in the Cans.
NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!! That would clearly fall into the realm of alcohol abuse. You simply cannot treat your brew like that. Everybody seems so concerned with the "rights" of illegal immigrants, somebody much look out for the rights of the natural born and legally imported beer. You do not force your beer to stand out in the hot sun for hours while taunting it with the threat of bodily harm by tire assault. It just isn't right.

Americans for the Fair Treatment of BEER

Last edited:

nick545

Feb 18, 2006
1994WR250Chad said:
....................... full Soda Cans, Full water bottles, or even BEER in the Cans.

As you get better, you will get to drink more of your favorite beverage. When you screw up.... Cans get run over and u loose your beverageS.

JUST A THOUGHT.
G/L
And you'll know your really good at turns once you're drunk. :)

Haycock Kid

Oct 15, 2005
I love beer, but try riding w/ little kids. I chase my kid on his PW50 - heavily wooded area that I mowed and raked w/ a compact tractor. The rules are I have to follow his path, and he's not allowed to look back at me. Rule one - that little tike on a little bike is hard to follow, and unpredictable. Rule two - he does not hit any trees looking back at me - he looks ahead and picks a good line. Try it - afterwards I drink a beer and he drinks a Brisk. "Carbs and caffiene are good together Dad."

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I am proud to say that, while I am now faster on my KX250 than the FruMonkey on his 65, he still has more riding ability than I do. We don't even need to address the looking back thing.

Top Bottom