Cost of 2005 CRF Top End - Finished Today

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I have a 2005 CRF450R that had approximately 80 hours on it (hour meter stopped working at 74 and I rode a few times after that). So, I decided to tear it apart and replace any worn parts. The items I replaced and their related cost is as follows:

Valves - replaced with Kibblewhite - $80
Springs - replaced with Kibblewhite kit - $175
Valve cotters - OEM - $25
Valve seals - OEM - $22
Cam chain tensioner & gasket - $57
Wiseco high compression piston kit - $94

I bought the Kibblewhite valves, the Kibblewhite spring kit, and the Wiseco kit from an online auction house (each kit was new in the package and each was bought from a different seller).

Once I got it apart, I brought the head and cylinder to a local shop that I work with and trust. For $150, they machined the valves, shimmed to the correct clearance, inspected the head and cylinder and made sure everything was within the service limits. They were shocked at the good condition everything was in.

So, in total, it cost me $603 for parts and labor. The cool part was that once I got the head back, I installed it all myself and it went very smoothly (although it took me over 4 hours - I took it slow and made sure I understood everything that was happening).

I also took a bunch of pictures as I went and would love to post them but I don't believe I have the authority to do so. If anybody can help with that, I will post them.

By the time I finished it was very cold and dark so I have not fired it up yet....I am afraid what might happen!

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I posted some pictures in my member's gallery. To access, click on Gallery above, then Search, then under Search by User Name, insert Cthowards, then click on Search.

I hope this works. Does anybody know how I could post a link to the gallery?

Top Bottom