JGonier

Apr 11, 2008
Ok, looking for someone to clerify some terms for me and explain where and how to make these adjustments :bang: . Me and my daughter are new to the sport and I am just trying to get both bikes setup just to ride for now without it feeling weird when riding. Both bikes are too tall and suspension's are way too stiff.

BIO: Myself - I am 37 and I am 5'6" at 150lbs. and I am riding a 1996 Kawasaki KX250. Purchased from guy who was about 6' and 200lbs.

BIO: My Daughter - She is 13 and she is 5'6" at 160+lbs (you know how woman are about weight, they never tell) and she is riding a 2000 Kawasaki KX125. Purchased from collage student who was about 5'7" and 180lbs.

First question: static and race sag - Can someone explain this and where these adjustments are made and what they do. Would making these adjustments help with ride height? My daughter cannot touch the ground on either side. Would an adjustment here make a difference?

Second question: Rebound and Compression - Again where are these settings made and what does it do? Would an adjustment here solve the issue with the bike being to stiff (both bike were setup for someone much heavier). Right now when we sit on the bikes, the seat hardly sags at all. Not enough to get her feet to the ground and I am on my toes.

Third Question: Rear Shock Linkage and Tie Rod - Is there an adjustment I can make here to lower the seat height without spending money on a lowering kit and without causing the rear tire to bottom out in the wheel well (fender)?

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. I am sure your answers will create more questions.

Sincerely,
James

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
To 'Clarify*' some things for you, just use the search. You can find answers on this website to every single one of these questions with some digging. Most of them have been covered multiple times, so I'm sure you can get the info you need. If you look and still can't get it figured out then I'm sure multiple people will be willing to help you out. Good luck, and welcome to a new obsession!! :cool:

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
You will find 2 out of 3 of your questions answered on MX-Tech.com under "Support". At the bottom is a Tuning guide download. As for as lowering, depending on how far, some spacers will need to be installed, rather inexpensive if you install them yourself. If your 250 is set-up for the 200lbs. guy it will need different springs for your 150lbs.

JGonier

Apr 11, 2008
minutz said:
You will find 2 out of 3 of your questions answered on MX-Tech under "Support". At the bottom is a Tuning guide download. As for as lowering, depending on how far, some spacers will need to be installed, rather inexpensive if you install them yourself. If your 250 is set-up for the 200lbs. guy it will need different springs for your 150lbs.

I was wondering about the spring issue. I have looked over MX-Tech and what they say there may as well be in greek. I am comming from the street bike world, and these kind of adjustments are not needed, nor available in street bikes, so I am having a hard time understanding some of the terms and jargon used on some sites. That is why I was asking for someone to give it to me in laymans terms so that I can understand the mechanics of these bikes.

:)

JGonier

Apr 11, 2008
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Get a manual for each bike. A priceless investment and has model specific information regarding set up and parts location.

I do have a manual for both bikes. I just do not understand the jargon and terms there are using. I am very mechanically inclined (can tear down the bike to the frame), I just don't understand the whole suspension setup stuff (turn 11 clicks for this and 8 clicks for that). And the manual does not use terms like "SAG", so that is throwing me off when everyone here talks about "SAG" height.

Last edited:

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Try this for static sag, bike on stand, measure from axle bolt to fender or something straight up from there. Bike off stand, should sag about an inch. (all bikes are slightly different). Race sag= sit on the bike where you would normally ride, have someone hold the front off the bike, get a third person to measure again. Should be around 4" or 1/3 of total travel of rear suspension. Again these are ballpark figures. If you can't get close to these numbers the springs or wrong for your weight. Adjustment is made by the 2 locking rings on the rear spring.
As for as the clickers think of them as the release valve on a hydlralic jack, turning them in or clockwise slows down the oil flow to that circuit, but they do have a bypass circuit so you can't just stop the flow by turning them in all the way. I would start by closing them all the way, count the clicks till full open, whatever it is say 18, then start at 9. There is no 1 set up that works for everything, hard pack is different then sand, supercross to woods, etc. So its whatever you like, just my way of thinking of this stuff.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Look in the manual for factory clicker settings. Match both bikes to factory. At your weights you are what the bikes were designed for. You will probly want to soften the compression adjuster a couple clicks, unless you do alot of hard riding. Previous post was good. The preload rings on the shock can be a pian to get to, but sag is very important. Good luck!

JGonier

Apr 11, 2008
I got it all figured out now. The manual say "Default Factory Settings" are 4.43" messured on the spring ("SAG"), which is where it was at and the top screw is now set to the factory setting of 18 clicks and the lower one set to 13 clicks. My daughter can now touch with her tippy-toes now (with no gear on), so I figure she will touch just fine when she adds the 30lbs or so of gear (boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, pads, chest protector and so on).

Thanks for all the help guys. I am sure I will be back again for more questions as we both learn the sport. We both plan to just trail ride for now and will look into maybe Hair Scrambles next season once my daughter is more familure with the bike and riding (she has never drove a bike before).

Thanks again.

Top Bottom