notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
I did a search, but I'm still not sure of the answer. My countershaft oil seal is leaking, and I bought a new one. One of the old post talked about having to split the case to replace it. :bang: I have a 2001 200. Is this correct?

Please tell me there's an easier way. :|

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
The part number is 92050. It's a metal ring with a rubber seal on the inside. It seals the shaft as it comes out of the case. After taking off the sprocket, there's a collar, then the seal. I pried on it with a long screwdriver, but it didn't budge.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
try using a cotter key puller made by craftsman it looks like a seal pick thats all bent up.carefully hook the inside of the seal and pry gently working your way around the seal and gradually walk it out.replace o-rings and the steel collar if it is even slightly grooved

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
Two things:

1. Your countershaft seal is more than likely not the source of your leak. As mentioned earlier, the two O rings behind the collar are the problem 99.9% of the time.

2. To pull the seal, drill two small holes oposite of each other in the metal portion. (be very careful and take your time) Then take two sheet metal screws and screw them into the holes. Now take two pairs of pliers and work the seal back and forth until it comes out!

Later
Robb

tax cutter

Nov 6, 2003
One more question - I developed the same leak recently. Before replacing the seal, I'm replacing the old O ring (looked fine) and the old collar (looked really bad). Well it has taken so long for the collar to arrive that I can't remember if I should install the O ring first or the collar first. From what I'm reading here I think that A)I will install the O ring first, then the collar and B)I'll use both O rings. Agreed?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If you are looking for a cheap fix until you can get you hands on new parts often times if you just pull the wear sleeve out reverse it and reinstall it will buy you some time. The lip seal will wear a groove in the sleeve over time and flipping it will allow the seal to run on a fresh surface.

Don't forget to grease the o-ring and seal when reinstalling so that they aren't damaged going back together and clean everything very well.

David

Top Bottom