Drummin'Joe

Sep 10, 1999
My 220 seems to be slowly leaking some oil in the area of the countershaft sprocket.
I would appreciate some advice on how to install a new seal. Is this something I can do myself, or do the cases need to be split?

I've tried several searches here in the forum, but I can't come up with any matches.

Joe

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I hate to tell you, but you are right, the cases have to be split to replace the seal. Since you will have it apart anyway, replace all the seals, and I might even replace the crank bearings while it was apart if the bike has many hours on it.

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
Before you go splitting the case you might try cleaning out the lip of the seal. I took a .005 brass feeler gauge and slipped it under the edge of the seal and then ran it around the shaft while hosing it out with WD-40. This removed a whole bunch of dirt and crap and mine hasn't leaked a drop since. Before doing this it would leak out a puddle 6 inches in diameter overnight. I've read about guys doing this trick to fork seals with a business card. If you use a feeler gauge just make sure there are no sharp edges to damage the seal.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
:think :rolleyes: Or you can pull off you countershaft sprocket, drill a small hole in the side of the metal area of the seal, screw in a drywall screw and using a slide hammer or vice-grips & a hammer pop the seal out. using a deep socket re-install the seal.

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
I thought it looked like it could be removed from the outside but spanky250 is not the first one to say you have to split the cases to change it. :cool:

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
You can try to get it out as Sage described, but I have never had any success doing that. Nothing holds well enough in the seal material to pull it out, as the fit between the case and the shaft is very tight. I tried exactly the same thing, but the screw just kept pulling through the seal material, and I ended up destroying the seal badly enough that there was no way to pull it out with anything from the outside. Before you try it, make sure you clean the outside of the shaft very well, as a lip of grime will build up on the shaft against the seal, preventing it from moving.

Try what XP said also, I have done this many times with fork seals, and it works. I use film negative on the fork seals.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Spanky is usually on track about these things, but in this case he's wrong (must be an off day ;) ) . The countershaft seal can be completely replaced without splitting the case. I watched the shop mechanic do mine. It took all of five minutes - of course I had everything ready to go: chain and countershaft sprocket off, etc. The old seal is removed with a seal puller and is destroyed in the removal process, but who cares, since you only do this if you're putting in a new one.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
this works on Ducati dry clutch seals also, the book says split the cases and calls for a charge of 23 hours to the customers bill, but for about 1 hour labor and a good tip????? I've done many of these and made some very happy customers, as for the reinstall of the seal, go to the plumming shop and get some pvc that fits the nearly 4" seal. but this is'nt a Ducati forum so i'll shut up.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Try cleaning the seal first as xrwarrior described it normally works if the seal is otherwise in good condition.

If it's still leaking there is no need to split the case. Pull the countershaft sprocket, clean the shaft and remove the seal using any of the above mentioned methods. Once you have the seal out remove the wear sleeve that fits over the shaft and the o-ring from behind it. Make sure the shaft is clean and there isn't a groove worn in the shaft. If there is just reverse the shaft, it’s symmetrical. Made sure you get the o-ring back in place and take your time reinstalling the new seal.

David

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Sorry guys, I can't always be right:). I have only replaced the seal in my bike once, and I absolutely could not get it to pull out with anything that I tried, screws just ripped right out. Since it was time for a bottom end anyway, I gave up and replaced all the shaft seals while I had the engine apart.

Thanks for the compliment, BRush...:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom