acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Im buying a new chain for the first time, so I have a question - do you count each link (like the outer and inner link) or just the outer links?

EDIT - Everyone I asked said to get an O or X ring chain, so whats the difference between the two and which is better? (im not going with a regular chain because alot of people told me they need more maintainence and strech easier)?

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
X-Ring is about 50% lower friction and delivers 50% to 100% longer wear resistance.

X-Ring twists under pressure from the side plates reducing friction

X-Rings have 1.8 greater durability than conventional O-Rings.

I stoled all that from the D.I.D site, but I'll still keep using a good Non O ring over a O or X and maintainence is nothing

I've been using the ERT

B

biglou

Check out the "Poll: O-ring..." thread for info on the different types of chains. Not sure about counting the links, I've never done it! It will be in the neighborhood of 112-120 links, so if you come up with 200+ links counting both inner and outer, divide by 2! ;) For the record, I run a non o-ring chain, smothered in jaybird's extra spicy chain sauce. But I'm a track queen.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Count the outers and multiply by 2.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Thanks for the help.

Do the end links (the ones with the holes at the end) and the connecting link (the one with the 2 pole-like things) count?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Just count all the rollers. (the master link, with the two pole thingys, fits into the first and last roller)
You will have an even number.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
An 88 CR250 with a 14/51 gearing should need 116 link chain.
Best bet is to buy a 120 link chain and use a chain breaker to fit it up exactly like you need.
Buying a chain that has the exact amount of links can be a dissapointing event for folks, especially when they find they ordered one with too few links.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Thanks Jaybird.

I went to the dealer and ordered a new 116 link 520 o-ring chain (they said they didnt have a larger size in an o-ring chain) and 14 tooth front sprocket. They said its due in Friday, so with some luck Ill have it in time to ride this weekend.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
had to do it on my atv.... count the links either by 2 or 1x2. then the place you are ordering from will prolly want to know how many pins (pins that hold the links on). the # of pins should be double of what the # of links there is. hopes this helps ya.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
83MX80 said:
had to do it on my atv.... count the links either by 2 or 1x2. then the place you are ordering from will prolly want to know how many pins (pins that hold the links on). the # of pins should be double of what the # of links there is. hopes this helps ya.
:|

That won't help anyone. Stick with Jaybird, he KNOWS what he's talking about.

Top Bottom