O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
I need to get a spark arrestor.. I have a couple of questions about the purchase. The bike is a 2003 rm 125 and it has a PC Works pipe and a PC R304 silencer on it now. I did do a search and didnt find the exact info I was looking for.

My questions are:

Will any brand SA(Im looking at PC or FMF)fit up to the PC Works pipe?

I have heard some stories of riders getting the "stick test" and when the Ranger or LEO's stick doesnt hit a screen they issue a ticket. Is the Krizzman type SA fully legal if USFS approved it even though there is no "screen" in the SA?

I wouldnt mind getting the slip-on type of SA, would the one made for the stock 03 RM 125 fit onto my PC R304 silencer?

Thanks much for any replies! :cool:

edit:
Wanted to add that I think I may have the shorty R304 version on the bike now, but not 100% positive of it.

Last edited:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
FMF, PC, any aftermarket SA/muffler should bolt right up. There's also the "Cobra Sparky"........a bolt on SA only that should be able to bolt up to the end of a stock muffler.......as for your PC muffler, I don't know. Screen type, or turbine type SA, both have stamped on them "US Forestry Approved" which is what the rangers will want to see.

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
Just wanted to pass this info I found along incase someone else has the same trouble... and add that I dont have the stock exhaust pieces to use anymore.

I went ahead and ordered the PC Nature Friendly SA for 02-07 RM125 hoping for good fitment with the PC Works pipe.

Fitment was crap really, it fits, but I had to add a 1/4" thick piece of rubber to back up the normal grommet that fits inside the silencer mount and trim about 3/16" off the inlet tube so the SA mount and the subframe mounting location would line up. :yell:

The "can" isnt stamped with the USFS approval, theres a sticker with that info on it. I would have preffered a stamped can. :fft:

Not thrilled, and I expected a little better from a company like PC, but as I said, it fits, and should keep me legal.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
All three FMF spark arrestors I have purchased have had it stamped into the casing. Stickers will probably fall off very quickly. All of these have also been sound tested and came in at 95-96 db. Two of these bikes had aftermarket pipes. Fit has always been just fine, repacking has been fairly painless.

Might want to look at FM turbine core next time around.

O3RM125

Dec 22, 2007
Yea honestly, the fitment problems I had I could deal with.. But not having a stamped can worries me a little..

I plan to keep my reciept in the truck and if the LEO ever has a question maybe he will accept that as some "extra proof" that it is a USFS SA. Ive also thought about taking it to a machine shop or somewhere and having it stamped.. but again I worry that could be illegal to do.

Ride review:

I was surprised, the bottom and lower mid are great with the Nature friendly SA, better than with the R304 shorty for sure, I noticed no major differance in the very meat of the powerband and in the lower rpms the bike was stronger, easier to drive at slow speeds, R's picked up quicker I think off the bottom. There was a noticeable loss however in the very upper rpms, at the very top really, it just goes flat big time.

Sound is good, more of a ring-ting-ding, than the R304 shorty's snappy-ness, and my son says its quieter, Im not sure, I have bad hearing(75% loss on the left) and have only heard it with hemet on thus far also.

Top Bottom