DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
Just picked up an 03' for my son to learn on. The exhaust restrictor (washer) and twist throttle limiter screw are both long gone. I'd like to get it to slow down to a walk or light jog (6-7mph). I've searched some here and read to forget about the exhaust washer and that the throttle set screw can do what I need. Would you agree, or is the exhaust washer worthwhile at first, too?

And anyone know the size/pitch of the screw? Figure I can get one at the hardware store as oppposed to bothering with the dealer. Also, the size of the exhaust washer, if worthwhile?

Lastly, the prior owner had never repacked the silencer, and it's a little loud. Any suggestions for pulling the inner piece out, for re-packing? It's in there pretty good. I was thinking of tapping it forward with a rubber mallet to loosen it, maybe. But I'm not sure if it'll even go forward, and I don't want to jam it in there further. I'm sure there's a trick someone has...

Thanks for any advice!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't recall the screw size, it's been about 10 years since I needed one :) but it should be PLENTY to slow the bike down. If your child is a mini mechanic like mine was get a longer screw with a jam nut. I actually used an socket head screw with a jam nut and placed the allen wrench up in a top drawer.

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
Thanks, Patman. Just wanted confirmation.

Any thoughts on removing the inner part of the silencer? Every method I can think of seems pretty destructive :laugh:

And another general question... What's the best cleaner/degreaser for the motor, frame, etc...? Is Gunk Engine Brite cleaner too aggressive?

Thanks!

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
I did what Pat did when I first bought my nephew his PW just a long bolt with a jam nut. It wasn't long before we were taking the screw out though. The previous owner had already removed the exhaust restrictor. I use simple green with pretty good results.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Forget the washer, just go with the screw. I think that its a 6mmx1.0 but I dont remember for sure. I do still have mine, however I do not recall where it has been "stored". Difenitely do the jam nut as Patman has suggested.

For the pipe, I'm quite certain that there is no packing material in there. If you bought it used, especailly if it was raced, the previous owner may have cut off a bit of the baffling. You should be able to grab it with a vice grip and pull it out (I seem to recall putting one jaw into the center and locking onto the side). Make sure that the screw has been removed, if there is any silicon, cut it loose with a knife, and maybe give it a couple of sideways whacks with that mallet to shake it loose.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't believe there is material packing in the exhaust. It's been a while though so memory could be failing me on that one.

Simple Green is great as are some of the citrus based cleaners from CRC and 3M

DEVONC

Dec 22, 2005
No packing material? Hmmm....

I suppose I'll pull it apart for curiosity-sake. I know for certain nothing has ever been done with the exhaust. And it's definitel louder than another p-dub or two I've heard before. Oh well, if there's nothing in there to repack, I guess I'll live with it.

Thanks again everyone for the replies :cool:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
definetley no packing material! just remove the 10mm head bolt at the end and pull the center out. if its loud its either carbon'ed up or someone cut it apart and that sacrifices bottom end.
I personally like the washer because you can leave the throttle alone and teach them throttle control. the bike will barely move out of its way with the washer in place. then drill it out a bit for more power...eventually taking all the way out.

you can replace the rear end unit with one from the QT50 moped. limits topend and gives quite a bit of bottom end grunt. best bang for the buck hop up trick down the road.
if you do the bolt definetley use the jam nut. otherwise they back out easily.

Top Bottom