GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Saturday afternoon, I’m on the phone with Jennifer and Pierre trying to figure out where we are going to ride. After a bit of mapping and debate, we all agree that Cow Mountain it is. I have never been to Cow Mountain, but I’ve heard that is where the Cow Bell Enduro is held. It is a four-hour drive from me to Ukiah, CA and it is supposedly a very beautiful mountain trail system overlooking Clear Lake.

Sunday morning arrives and I had packed the night before, ready to roll! Jen and Pierre head out from San Jose and I head out from Modesto. We think we will meet somewhere on the 580 Westbound, but as usual, Pierre is going 85 and I am going 5 over the speed limit, so they are much farther ahead.

(Here is the Foodie part of my ride report – you knew it was coming!) ;)

I met up with Jen and Pierre at the Whole Foods Market in Petaluma, where we had agreed to stop for coffee. I was really smitten with the town of Petaluma for its coastal-like fog and grassroots ambiance. It reminded me of my early years, growing up in Half Moon Bay. I had never been to a Whole Foods Market (gasp!) so I was immediately overcome by the fresh Nor Cal produce and cheeses, the vast wine aisle stocked with local labels and the aromas of roasting chickens and gourmet dishes drifting out of the deli. I was over in the cheese section, chatting with the cheese lady about a double cream Gouda I was admiring when I hear Pierre bellowing my name and motioning from the Produce Aisle to “Come on!” I could have shopped and perused for hours, but it was time to finish the leg up to Cow Mountain, which was only about an hour away.

When I reached the check-out counter, one of the Whole Foods Market employees was clucking over Pierre’s large and nasty pipe burn on his leg – a boo boo he’d received while working on Jen’s 2007 KTM 250 – the shiny new beast perched in the back of their truck. This ride at Cow Mountain would be the bike's first go, although Pierre claimed he needed to “test it out” he being the family mechanic (she had to pry it from him most of the day!). The employee showered Pierre with numerous bandages and I think some burn ointment. Imagine that – Healthy, Organic food, AND first aid at Whole Foods Market! :cool:

Later in the day, I commented that I had found some association to the people I found in the Petaluma Market, which to me epitomized the Nor Cal persona of a laid back, almost hippie feel, much like the community I grew up in. Pierre was quick to point out that hippies don’t have French nails. :think:

Now back to the ride report….

Back on the road we take the Talmage Exit and find the last leg of our journey taking us up a very windy narrow dirt road to the top of Cow Mountain. It was not the type of road you wanted to see someone coming in the other direction because there was a dirt wall on one side of you and a very steep cliff-thingy on the other. Sure enough, here comes not one truck but two, the second, being of the dually version, hogging up any available breathing room in the road. Somehow we made it by each other and no one fell off the cliff. Still feeling my laid back roots, I flash the dually owner the Hawaiian Hang-Loose sign in thanks. (How did I ever become Work Week Natty?)

In the staging area, we meet up with Mike Krynock (Of Team KTM – Dakkar fame) and his friend Carrie, who he is teaching to ride dirt bikes. If you recall from my last ride report, Carrie is the San Francisco street bike mechanic with the skull and cross bones tattoo behind her right ear. This time I asked her if she liked Pirates and I think she actually does; she gave me the name of a Pirate / Creative Writing store in SF – now how awesome is that.

The five of us gear up and head out for a ride. Jen’s bike, the spanking-new 2007 KTM 250 wants to be ridden by everyone and we all get to throw a leg over by the end of the day.

We started doing warm up on the main fire roads – Jen had warned me that the trails and roads were all two-way but it didn’t keep me from almost mashing up with some quads coming down the road in the opposite direction; I was more wary from then on.

Most of the 40+ miles we rode were fun double track with some uphills and downhills, strewn with rocks and rough terrain here and there and sandy washy areas, some of which gave me trouble. I was very disappointed in all of my downhill attempts, especially when I realized I had forgotten to put on my knee guards and landed on the same knee during three spodely spills. Pierre tried to coach me on the use of the back brake and even demonstrated how I had pumped it once during a downhill attempt, but had reverted back to my front-brake crunching comfort zone. We had a good laugh. Jen was trying to convince me to just “Let Go!” and coast down, assuring me my bike would roll over everything. Hmmmm, I’ll have to get used to that idea.

Note to Self: Must work on downhills…..

Carrie was amazing us all on the TTR125, this being only her second day in the dirt whatsoever. She was going up and down obstacled trails like a much more seasoned rider and it caused me to wonder about my second day of riding dirt back in 2002, tipping over left and right. Not much has changed for me in 4 years, lol. Great job Carrie, Arrrrr!! (a little Pirate Speak for you).

Back at the staging area, we had lunch and I put my knee guards on hoping not to smash my knee up any more than I had already. We headed back out for a shorty late afternoon loop, but after attempting a rocky downhill and not faring very well, I cut the ride short with only a 6-7 miler, opting to save my self and call it a day. I was wore out and completely brick-walled over anything of a downhill angle. The rest were good sports and came back to the staging area as well, thinking they might go out for another loop later on, light permitting. On the last couple miles of the fire road, Mike let me ride is 525 to demonstrate the difference in suspension.

I packed up my gear while Mike did some swift mechanical work on my rear brake lever. He noted that it was positioned too high for me to easily reach it while riding. Ummm yeah! yeah! That's why I never use it! :debil:

I think Jen really loves her new bike – it was beast compared to the 250F’s we both had a few years ago. She was contemplating the differences between the two bikes as both have some advantages. She mostly had to get used to the stop switch being on the Clutch side, but as usual, she was a graceful rider on either bike.

I said good-bye to the rest of the crew while they contemplated another ride. I headed back down that treacherous mountain road and to the bottom before noting that the 4X4 truck behind me was flashing his lights and honking his horn. All of the sudden, I noticed much smoke and a burning smell while the couple in the truck pulled up next to me on the road pointing out how I had burned up my brake pads by riding the brakes on the way down. The girl lightheartedly admonished me by letting me know I should come down the mountain in a low gear and not use the brakes at all. Kind of like the “Let Go!” advice Jen had been trying to give me out on the trails.

Note to Self: Must work on Downhills…

The couple advised me to let the brakes cool down before continuing on, so I read a half a magazine and let the smell of burn drift away in the mountain air. At least I was in the shade. Boredom and a desire to get on with the four hour drive home spurred me on and I gingerly put the Yukon in 2nd gear and continued my journey, barely touching the brakes the rest of the way down the hill.

I got home at 9:15 pm, took a shower, inspected my bruises and stiff knee, then hit the sack. It was a great day!! I forgot to mention how beautiful Cow Mountain is and how you can see Clear Lake in the distance from one of the higher trail vantage points. The trails are well marked with Green, Blue, Black designations and there is camping available, which we all agreed might be a worthy venture for a longer weekend ride.

Thanks again to Mike and Pierre and Jen for the trail assistance and encouragement and Carrie – good to see you again, keep riding!!

Top Bottom