CPT Jack almost meets his Maker ...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Well we did the Snowy thing, and while Snowy itself wasn’t as bad as people say, the overall effect of the ride was brutal.

We staged out of King’s Campground - where one entrance to Snowy is located. Jack started things off in true Team Knucklehead fashion - he forgot to put on his green sticker again so we had to use the FORCE to get by the entrance to the park. We chatted up the woman working the gate as well as we could and luckily she didn’t check the bikes for stickers. :aj: Then at camp, Jack realized he had left his riding pants at home. So he rode the entire time in jeans. :) Pretty funny.

Snowy started off easy - and the weather was nice - probably in the 80’s. We quickly hit some tricky little rock obstacles which were fun but not too bad. Then we did a long stretch of very loose singletrack - this is where the infamous switchbacks are and they are tight. I certainly wasn’t gonna try to make those sharp turns going downhill so I hopped off my bike each time and walked / wrestled it around each rutted switchback. My lone dirtnap was on one of these switchers where there was a small fence on the inside of the turn. I decided to try and dogpaddle through the switchback and I put my inside foot on the fence as support. Well the fence immediately collapsed and I fell to the inside and my bike fell with me. I was kinda stuck but unharmed. I recovered quickly so as to deprive Jack of the pleasure of seeing me splayed out over the broken fence with my bike on top of me. Mission accomplished - he didn’t get to see it !

My water went fast and I realized that wrestling your bike through stuff this tight gets real tiring. I was out of water about halfway into Snowy. We rested alot and got our bearings every so often. Snowy is a beautiful trail and offers some really nice views. After about 6 miles the trail turns sharply to the right and starts to go uphill. This is where Jack very nearly met his Maker. No kidding .... this was the closest call I’ve ever witnessed. If it wasn’t for Jack being cool, calm, and collected, it would’ve been airlift time.

There was this really tricky rock section once the trail started goin' uphill and both our bikes started boiling over. Jack was about an eighth of a mile behind me because he had stopped to let his bike cool. I decided to walk back down and see what was up. He was fine and we bullsh*tted about the trail for awhile and rested. He was talking about how the section he had just gone through was tricky. I let him know that what was right around the corner was even worse. I decided to walk back up the trail so I could watch him navigate the technical spot I had mentioned. I climbed up the inside wall and sat on a big rock overlooking the trail. Great spectator spot - but little did I know that the carnage I was about to witness would almost turn into the kind we never ever hope to see.

I heard Jack fire up his bike and then he came into view as he rounded the turn. When he approached the rock section he was a little too low on speed and his front tire deflected badly off the rock, throwing him off to the cliff side of the trail. He rolled off his bike and onto his back and quickly began to slide down the cliff face. No kidding - he slid 35 feet down the cliff and was finally able to stop himself just shy of a spot from which there would have been no return. I saw him start sliding and then all he said was “whoa” a few times as he began to pick up speed. Dude - big props to you for keeping your cool so well. I would have messed my O’Neals !!!!! THAT WAS SCARY.

He climbed back up the cliff and of course we rested. I had plotted our way back to camp on trails 129 and 128. We finished resting and moved on.

Now we were pretty tired and I didn’t really know what 129 and 128 were like. Turns out they were almost as bad as Snowy, and I personally thought 129 downhill (Miller Jeep Trail) was actually more tiring than Snowy. 128 is PIRU Creek Trail. So our little Snowy adventure turned into a short (28 miles) but devastating ride. We were dead when we got back to camp. It was so bad at one point that the Jackster lost his cool a bit and kinda went off on me. Next time better let him plan the route back to camp. Turns out there was a nice easy fire road we could have taken back but I apparently didn’t think to include it in our travels. My bad.

So we got through it in one piece. Those three trails made a pretty killer little loop. Riding Snowy was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be - but riding 129 and 128 after Snowy in the heat was more than I had bargained for. It turned into one of those rides where you’re hating life as you’re riding - but feel great afterwards.

It always feels good to push your personal envelope and come out on top. I’d do it again in a heartbeat ... just not right now. :)

Last edited:

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Great report Eel, just wish I could have joined in on the insanity.

Those switchbacks are knarly, could you imagine the trail in the other direction? Miller Jeep trail is epic! But putting the two trails together is really asking for a tough ride. Keep on challenging yourself and your buddies and becoming a skilled rider will come without even knowing it. ;)

As for the disagreement, we all have been there! "Dangit I knew we should have gone the other way!!!!"

How is the stream any water? That is a god send when riding in the heat.

Let me know when you guys are going to hit Piru again and we'll meet up! :cool:

Brian

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Wow.......Thanks for the awesome report. Im glad to hear Jack made it out on his own.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Nice ride report buddy. Glad to hear Jack only slid 35 ft. and is ok. There are some spots up there that you REALLY don't want to go over the edge. I am guessing that his bike didn't follow him? I always wondered how 2 guys would get a bike back up? If the fall/slide didn't kill you, surely getting the bike back up would :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Eel.

Awesome report as usual. ;) Glad you guys made it through ok.

Eddie is right, there are places up there where you really have to pay attention.

You outta try going up Miller Jeep Trail sometime. :scream:

Ol'89r

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Not sure what ride I would have chosen, this or ours! Glad the Cpt. faired out alright on his over the side ride.:D

I think it's the MoJo thing, it's killing eveybody!!:scream:

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Great ride report. Glad I didn't go with you. Those down hill right turn switchbacks are tough for me. If your on the side of a hill it can be scary.
Good to hear you made it back.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Would the rock Cpt hit be a couple of hundred yards up the hill from the creek crossing? I know that rock......

I'll make the trek from Santa Rosa down to Gorman to ride with all of you if & only if Elk will be there:D I wanna see a track nancy pinball his way up Miller.....

Brian

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I always wondered how 2 guys would get a bike back up?
Funny, I was wondering that too! :eek:

You outta try going up Miller Jeep Trail sometime.
No thanks, while going down it I was trying to concieve how impossible that would be ... and couldn't. :uh:

couple of hundred yards up
that's about right.

I know that rock......
Friend of yours, huh? ;)

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
I will survive, I will survive …

For the record:

Talk about a killer loop!
You guys at Miller Canyon weren’t the only ones getting dehydrated this last weekend. Our Snowy ride was BRUTAL! The heat wasn’t that bad but tough trail and dehydration led to some severe exhaustion for the contingent from Team Knucklehead.

From the top…

Yep, had to use the Force (again) like a true dirt-Jedi (“These are not the droids you’re looking for.”) since I still haven’t put that green-stickie to metal yet. Another 1st – no riding pants. Hey good thing I wore jeans instead of shorts! They didn’t work out too bad – only got a little hole where Snowy took a bite out of my backside.

For those who haven’t done Snowy, it’s only around 11 miles total. The 1st two miles & last 2-3 are easy riding – fast & fun. It’s the middle 7 that make it worthy of the double black diamond that appears at the trailhead. It’s immediately noticeable when this trail turns serious & it just seems to get worse.

We made it through the first rock section without incident & made our way to the downhill singletrack switchback. It was pretty slow going from there - that is one narrow trail! Funny how tired you can get going downhill. Most of these switchbacks were far too tight to ride through & I made the mistake of going to wide on one of them & having my front end go a couple feet over the edge. Yeah Greg the right-handers are a b****! Well that was the first wrestling match of the day – whew! Already getting tired, we finished the downhill & crossed the creek.

The GasGas was running rich on the bottom going from burble w/ the intermittent surge to hard pulling & by the end of the day wore me out. It was a bit difficult to control at low speed but only a bit, nothing major. Next time I’ll try putting in a leaner needle or pilot.

Just when you think (hoped) you’d seen the worst, here comes that long (like never-ending long) gnarly rocky uphill. It starts with a full 90 degree pivot into severe rocks. I put my foot down & leaned it over & gave it some throttle to swing the back end around. Something fluid shot out from next to my throttle hand & hit my handguard. Huh? I was thinking this could be a bad omen. Oh well, keep charging. The back end became difficult to control in the loose rocky stuff, which in turn made the front end difficult to control, at one point sending the front off the trail. Front end over the edge again (wrestling match #2) & radiator now boiling over as well. I decided to just sit & let it cool. I kept yelling up for the Eel so he wouldn’t think I went over & eventually he wandered down. Normally, he’d probably ride back but I want to point out that it’s too tight to turn around on this trail. During a nice smoke break he tells me the trail gets worse around the corner – no way! Time to go. He heads off around the corner for the moment you’ve all been waiting for. And so do I. The mountain is to the left side of the trail & when I went over one of the big rocks, my front end went left into the hill pushing me over right. I figured I end up on my right butt-cheek, pinned under the bike. All I really recall is a backward somersault & then I’m sliding - on my back, feet first. All I can do is try to slow/control the slide. But everything is dry and loose & every rock I grab just comes out & takes off over the edge. I saw an embedded rock straight ahead. It was about football sized (sticking out) and I thought “If I don’t get this one, there’s another big one after the drop - I’ll get that one.” So I guess I was too busy planning ahead (and below - literally) to get freaked out. If I had been in any other body position it would have been a very different story. Guess I was lucky - it enabled me to control & stop. The 1st drop off wasn’t that big, 6-8 ft., but after that - forget it. Once I stopped, Eric yells down “Are you O.K.?” & I yell back “Yeah, shut off my gas!” Yep, good thing that bike stayed up there.

It was a tough little climb back up too, with little to hold onto & a whole lot more that would come right out with any weight on it. Once I got back up to the bike I was thoroughly beat. We were about 7 miles into the Snowy Trail.

That’s the first half of the Snowy report.

BTW, The Eel had a close call too on Piru Creek trail where he stalled on a tough rock obstacle rounding the rock cliff & jumped off the bike. He was less than a foot from going straight down. Nice save. :D

Last edited:

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
So Jack, does this mean that next time you choose between Miller Canyon or Snowy, you will take the easy ride?

By the way way, great write up. Both you and Eel are good story writers.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I hate reports like this. Makes me feel like a wussy for all the times I complained about a "tough" ride, which was more likely just a quick 10 mile loop on a bunny hill. Can you guys keep your iron man stuff to yourselves from now on?

And Jack, glad your bike didn't tumble. What a shame that would have been. Oh, and glad you're o.k. too ;)

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
does this mean that next time you choose between Miller Canyon or Snowy, you will take the easy ride?

What easy ride? The Fireroad? Nah... :p

I didn't think Miller Canyon downhill was that bad. Challenging yes, but nothing like trying to go up it. I think that would turn into a horrific afternoon of defeat. Who's done it? 89r? The Eel thought MC downhill was worse than Snowy but I definitely don't agree. Could be the Pro Circuit valved WP suspension, I dunno, but with my bike now, it's fairly easy if you keep your momentum - just pick your best line & go over/thru anything that gets in the way.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Looks like you guys will be ready for the Thanksgiving Meeting at Jawbone, right?

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Oh he's a masochist - probably sporting a full leather face mask & turning wrenches right now just thinking about it! :yeehaw:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
LOL Capt. Jack! Glad to hear that you were able to grab some hand and toe holds! :cool: Kinda hard to do in gear. It's hard to do in shoes and chalked hands :scream: I did it a couple of times but gave it up. I get more thrills from riding :p

Happy trails Big Guy!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
... now the really killer loop would be to do the whole thing backwards.

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by CPT Jack

Who's done it? 89r?

CPT Jack.

Believe it or not, that is the way we used to do the loop before they changed Snowy. Starting out at Gold Hill trail to Piru Creek, up Miller Jeep trail and down Snowy. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom