CR 250 engine problems

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
I've had some engine trouble with my 2001 CR 250 and I'm wondering if what I plan on doing will fix it. It had a couple Wiseco top ends done around 50 hours. Then we had to put a Vertex in because Wiseco was out of stock. The Vertex dealer messed up and sold as a too small piston (66.36) Why the heck would they make a piston smaller than OEM??? Well anyways that piston rattled apart and the skirt went to pieces. So we took it apart, removed all the pieces of piston skirt, got the cylinder measured (supposedly was good) and put a new Wiseco in it. It ran with a noticibly different sound. It ran good, but seemed to be missing a bit of power. Ran it for 2 hours. Go to race and after practise it will no start. It seemed to be kicking over way to easy so I took out the smark plug and put my finger on the hole while kicking. It didn't even have enough compression to blow off my finger. So after we take it apart we find the cylinder head has a ring of ruff, what looks like burnt on metal flakes on it. The top of the piston also has this pattern of stuff. The cylinder is all scrapped up and there are some sharp edges on the ports. So I've bought a new cylinder, head, piston(Wiseco 66.40), rings and I'm wondering if this will fix it. The connecting rod has no visible damage and has no up and down play, but it does have some side to side. Is this bad? Also when you put a finger on the flywheel and spin it, it has small up and downs, it's not perfectly round. Is this normal? Does it matter? So does the bottom end need doing or should this fix it? Any ideas what went wrong the last time?
We run 50:1 Bel Ray MC-1
380 main and air screw are only jetting changes
Thanks

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
The crank sounds like it is messed up. It shouldn't have any up and down movement when you turn it. It should be perfectly round because the bearings ARE round after all (at least they should be!). If you've had all these problems, I'd personally buy one of those Wiseco cranks for under $200 and have the entire top and bottom end rebuilt and replated. You might even opt for a big bore kit from Eric Gorr or something. There should be no reason for you to keep shelling out money on top ends.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i wonder if some debris from the old piston was left behind and this is what casueed the damage. it sounds like the split cases is in order! probably a good time to do the crank as well?

TFR

Oct 25, 2000
Yes, it was probably peices off the broken piston that caused your problem. I tell people that want to just flush out their engine that you can't get all of it out. Metal will get behind the main bearings and be trapped between the crank seals and bearings. Then when you fire it up and ride they find their way out. You could remove the seals and flush it would be a better job but I would split the cases and do it right along with a new rod or you'll be spending money again soon. JIM-2fastracing

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…