LAW094

Jun 3, 2009
Had 3 damper rods break in the caps of a 96 CR250. All of them when the oil was very low. Is that what caused the failure, or is there another problem the shop is overlooking. This issue is getting very pricey for an older bike, I dont want to spend more money just to end up back in the same spot.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
LAW094 said:
Had 3 damper rods break in the caps of a 96 CR250. All of them when the oil was very low. Is that what caused the failure, or is there another problem the shop is overlooking. This issue is getting very pricey for an older bike, I dont want to spend more money just to end up back in the same spot.

pictures and more detailed information would help

LAW094

Jun 3, 2009
Sorry it was kind of short, but spam killer kept telling me to remove links when I didnt have any in there...and I dont have any pics as of right now. But its just where the damper rod or inner cartridge screws into the fork cap inside the fork. It is breaking the tube right off leaving the threaded part in the cap. So basically when you unscrew the cap it falls off in your hand

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
LAW094 said:
Sorry it was kind of short, but spam killer kept telling me to remove links when I didnt have any in there...and I dont have any pics as of right now. But its just where the damper rod or inner cartridge screws into the fork cap inside the fork. It is breaking the tube right off leaving the threaded part in the cap. So basically when you unscrew the cap it falls off in your hand

so only one side? every time the same side the rod broke?
I would check if the broken rod can compress as far as the rod of the other side. maybe the midvalve came loose or something else is wrong. then the rod cannot move all the way in and when you bottom the fork the rod gets all the bottoming energie.

normally the inner (chrome) tube hits the fork cap while bottoming, check that.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Normaly the damper rod breaks where it goes into the fork cap due to not being threaded completely in . The lock nut should be threaded down onto the damper rod 18.5 mm's then install the cap untill the rod bottoms in the cap . There should be a small air gap between the lock nut and the cap . Thread locknut up to the cap and tighten .

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom