CR 500 with a CR 250 ignition??

rod248

Nov 18, 2001
Hello all...

I have heard that it is possible to take a CR 250 ignition and put it on a CR 500. This is supposed to allow the bike to rev higher. Has anyone done this? Does it really work?

I use my CR 500 for hill climbing (western stuff like Billings Montana) and a higher revving bike would be a good thing for me.

Anyone with experience, chime in... oh, and if this is ok, what year of a 250 should I get the ignition from ? My bike is a '97.

Thanks again,

Rod

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Dirt tracking CR500's was popular down here. Honda Australia always recommended reducing compression top allow motor to fully rev out in these high speed conditions.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Can you run a black box from a different motor? I would have thought it was designed with a cylinder's particular port timing etc so I would have said no it may run but not better. Do any of the techo boys know more about this one??

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by bigcr
The question still remains "Is there any benefit to adding a 250 black box to a
CR500?

Did you read the thread Kiwi referenced?
A few posts into it the advantages are explained. :confused:

r_rider28

~SPONSOR~
Feb 24, 2002
Is it hitting the rev limiter while on the hill now? If it is then you are geared too low. Gear taller if you want to go faster. Hill climbing is all about bike set up, length and gearing and of course a super strong motor never hurts. I have founnd building a high compression time bomb for a motor works best. Your not going to get super high rpms out of a high compression 2 stroke due to pumping losses. But the high compression motor will stay in the power while under a hard pull. It is more important that your motor can pull tall gears rather than screaming the motor with low gears, you get very little traction traction when screaming the motor with small gears. Run the tallest gears your bike can pull on the hill you are climbing. Tall gears will hook up better and will also allow you to stretch the bike a little further and still achieve traction. Don't stretch it too much or you will loose more traction than you gained by using taller gears.
As far as running a 250 black box on a 500, I don't know if it would be any benifit considering my opinion on how a hill bike should be set up.

Top Bottom