Glen T

Oct 24, 2003
Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a used 2001 CR250 which I love. The engine is bone-stock. I have plans to rebuild the top soon, but haven't gotten to the job yet. The problem I'm having is spooge! This thing drips rivers! Other 2001's I've seen seem to have the same problem to varying degrees. I'm running Maxima Super M with pump 91 at 32/1. Some have suggested I try 40 to one, but the last 2-stroke I owned was an old CR500 that I ran with the same mix with no goo at the pipe. I'm running at 500' above sea level. Has anyone had success with a jetting change to clean things up?
Thanks,
Glen

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Is the jetting stock ? Are the temps getting colder in your Area ? If so you may be able to get by without changing the jetting...

Try in 1 step increments...Lean out the main jet 1 size and see what happens....What you don't want is to get the bike too lean where it starts surging...

Actually going to 40 to 1 will richen your Fuel/Air mixture...

Stick with 32/1 and lean the jetting in 1 step increments....Keep a written record of the humidity and air temps that way when the temp changes you will have a reference as to what your jetting should be.

Glen T

Oct 24, 2003
Cool, thanks guys. The jetting is stock, and to be honest, I'll do top ends, bottom ends linkage shocks, but I hate to do carb work. I guess I'll get it figured out on this bike. I'll try the lean one step at a time method and see how it goes. Thanks for the links. I'll research them too.
GLEN

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
you better get used to it , i also had a 01 cr250 and if you were to ask most owners it would appear that the keihin carb is partially to blame , it's hard to set it up correctly and it's jetted way too rich stock . i leaned out the jetting as much as i dared and it still puked a little spooge , no where near as much as stock though . if i recall i think i was running the s7 nozzle , 30pilot , stock main and one clip leaner on the stock needle at sea level . do a search on the s7 nozzle for more info .

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
tomoad
my appologies , i meant to say that the stock "mikuni" carb is hard to dial in , jetting specs i gave helped out a lot and i could have gone a little leaner on the pilot as well . i was going to try the kehien carb from the 2000 model and give that a try but i sold my bike before i could get my hands on one .

tbrooks

Jan 2, 2002
I just finished jetting my riding partners cr they are right the jetting is way off but going to 40/1 is fine. I run my yz @ 48/1 have for two years and it runs great. keep in mind that I ride at least 2 time a week and race at least 10 enduros a year, oh yea I race A open and run pretty hard all of the time. when you rejet try 40/1 with a good syn oil. also if the person you bought the scoot from was slower it is spooging all the built up oil from the pipe and silencer that they built up.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom