cr to yz/wr forks

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
How easily do forks (ohlins, in particular) for a 99-01 CR adapt to a 2002 yz/wr250? What parts are needed? If it is easy I will get the forks and do it.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Do you think they will really be that much better , Thats an expensive proposition, I guess you have them as readily available takeoffs ? I bet the axles and clamps are different You should check out the White Bros catalog the stuffs probably in there.

Mark Hammond

Apr 6, 2000
tm-enduro
Ohlins forks from a CR will not fit straight into a YZ the overall diameter of the upper tubes is different and so is the axle and brake calipers, if you want to fit some Ohlins to your bike then get some for a YZ they are the same from 1997 upto current , the spec has been updated but they will all fit.
Give me a call if you need some.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Dean, the 3 bushing setup of the Ohlins is very nice in the woods, especially on slapdown landings. If you ride an Ohlins forked enduro bike (try a GasGas ECO, for instance)that is set up for you you will see the difference.
Mark, Thanks for the info, I saw a set on ebay and thought that might be a cheap way to make a plush enduro bike. I'm still wanting to make a Solva suspended WR250, but the local economy and thus my bank account make that iffy at this point.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Oh I see:Yeah I ve worked on them in the Cannondales and theyre very nice forks butthe bike is sort of a sled .Havent much exp with the gas gas . The new KTM forks are nice triple bushingers .

HONDA65

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2000
I can tell you exactly how a CR Showa setup works, because I've tried the same thing. The forks will fit in the lower clamp no problem. BUT, the forks are too small for the upper clamps. You will need to machine some sort of shim to take up the clearance, or have a top clamp custom made. The second problem is that the CR forks are longer than the YZ forks. You will need to slide them way up in the clamps, and you might have a clearance problem with your handle bars, depending on your bar mound heighth.

The stock YZ wheel and hardware will actually work, except that the caliper will be too close to the disc because the '01 CR's ran a smaller diameter disc. You would need to get an '00 disc off a YZ (should work, but never tried) I ran a complete CR wheel assembly to elliminate any problems.

Then of course, you will need to have a Honda style brake routing setup, which is simple enough.

I never tried to see if the CR clamps would fit in the YZ frame. That might simplify things. But then you would need a CR # plate.

As for performance, once you get them setup for your weight and ability, they actually work really well.

Anyway, if your serious about doing this, I might consider selling my setup. I haven't used it in a while, so its just dead space in my shop.

And just to clarify, these are '01 Showa forks, not Ohlins!

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…