Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
I have heard of people buying or jimmy rigging wide ratio gear kits for a cr250r. I know that for the riding I do I need a lower first gear but I still want to atleast keep the top end speed that the bike produces stock. I love this bike but If it comes to sacrificing my riding, I will sacrifice the bike first.
Is there a solution to giving me the low 1st gear or do I need a new bike?

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
If you put a different pipe on it, you will get more low end TQ. This might help aslo rather than necessarily putting a new gear in (If possible). As for top speed, I couldnt see anyone needed a dirt bike that does more than 70ish MPH ...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'd talk to AJ Waggoner. He found a WR trans for the DRN project bike a few years ago. There are some guys who figured out on Yamahas how to swap thumper WR gears into a 250 two stroke using genuine yamaha parts. It might be possible with the Hondas but I'm just speculating. Several guys I ride with have gone to KTM or to GasGas to get the versitality your looking for. I might just do the same, I just will not do business with the local KTM dealer.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you don't use the top end of fifth gear much you could probly gear it down a bit. Another good idea for an mx bike being woods ridden is a flywheel weight. Both of these mods can be done without splitting cases and should yeild some good results. Cost will be much less too. Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket and adding a flywheel weight shouldn't be more than 150 bucks or so.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
I have an 02 CR250 as well; to my knowledge our only choice is to drop 500+ on the madman eng. WR kit. There was talk about the possibility of using gears out of the 450x but I never had the $$ to look into it further. i have a gnarley pipe, flywheel weight, messed with the sprocket ratios and tried an intake spacer. they all worked ok but a WR gear set would be best.
If you find anything Cman, please post it up

Edit: looks like the MME WR kits are 780$ now :bang:

CarnageZ28

Mar 25, 2008
I think you guys just need to trade them in on YZ's heheh.

No seriously though, how often do you really need the top of 5th? I think your best bet is seriously gearing the bike down, a FWW, and a pipe/silencer combo. Possibly a spacer as well.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
A-Loop used to sell wide-ratio transmissions for the CRs. I think all they make now are the seat-tank kits for the XR250/400/600.

I think AJ bought up all the ones available for the CR500 a while back. Like BSwift said, he or Service Honda (click on the "Honda") might be able to help you out.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
$500+ kind of sounds like what I am spending to get my clutch new again. I actually find myself looking for another gear all the time out in the open fields or on dirt roads. The problem is I am also looking to shift down another gear when in the trails, first gear on that bike has to be running atleast 10-12 mph is the slowest I can go without stalling or burning out the clutch. If I had 7 grand to burn on a new bike it would definitley be an 08 300 xc-w(e). Best trail bike out there IMO.

Top Bottom