CR/XR conversion

sbleakle

Mar 10, 2002
I've been away from the Forums for awhile and this topic may be covered elsewhere so let me know if it is. Anyhow, I've got a '90 CR125 that I had visions of getting operational for my wife as a playbike. I also recently picked up a reliable old '82 XR200R. I've seen and heard accounts of installing the XR engine in the CR frame. I like the idea because of the disk brakes and MX look of the CR but the reliability of the XR thumper for a playbike. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion and if so, what are the "gotchas" I need to prepare for?

Thanks,

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I too would be interested in getting my XR400 engine in a CR frame.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah Ive done stuff like this before, Its not real hard but the XR200 is way easier to swap than the XR400 because the 400 needs an oil tank and a cooler. On a newer Cr you could probably use the twin spars of the frame for the oil tank although it may get a little warm . The biggest thing would probably be setting up the swingarm pivot and on the 400 getting the kickstarter to clear the right footpeg . In my shop We just oinstalled a real trick Xr628 motor in a TRX400Ex frame and the worst part was setting up the kickstarter rear brake pedal assy, but I got it done and it looks sano. The quad is a rocket. It will be in DIRTWHEELS mag pretty soon . Use your imagination just dont hack things up. GOOD LUCK DEAN

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Just done a CR80 / XR80-100. Pics in the gallery. You must attack it with a plan and really think it out. A guy did the frame mods and we talked often about how what where why. The carb and exhaust can be two difficult things to sort out. No use getting the engine in sprockets lined up and no space for the carb or you cannot kick it or you need major changes to the rear brake etc. The other thing is space for the electrics and hooking up cables like throttle etc. The small things can make or break a project. Remember to make it look "factory". In Japan there is a lot of the 125/200's done. Have a look from Japan XR pages

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Great link ACS! Take a look at the third one from the top. This guy actually built his entire frame from scratch! The whole thing. I mean EVERYTHING. I couldn't read anything but it all is photographed well. Very Nice.

sbleakle

Mar 10, 2002
Very cool page. These guys that can do that caliber fab work are my heroes. Saw that Discovery show the other day about West Coast Choppers. Amazing raw fab work. Anyhow, the Japan XR page is a little more friendly if you run it thru a translator like Alta Vista Babelfish.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The translators make it a lot easier to follow the pages. The Japanese do some pretty cool stuff for sure. If you are intrested there is a comapny that makes 4 valve heads for Z50's and another that does XR100 (apes) barrels that have oil cooling fittings cast in. One of the best TTR125 with front and rear YZ suspension sites is over there as well. You can email them and I find them really helpful as well. Just use the translators. Sometimes it comes out a bit funny but very informative.

canvet

Nov 10, 2001
My wifes bike is a 200 motor about 1985 in a1991 cr125 frame. She loves it. I dont enjoy riding it, maybe because the power is less than my cr250?? The conversion was done by a friend in Calgary. Main custom work is front down tube and engine cradle all new, back motor mount bolts right up. air box cut to fit smaller carb, new custom built pipe, many small things you run into. She loves the disk brakes, but does not notice the weight being much lighter. Suspension is still too stiff for her speed. But it is a great trail bike and keeps her happy and enjoying dirtbikes!

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Nope. I look every so often but in Japan the XR100 or the road version the Ape 100 (12 inch wheels!!!!!!) doesnt seem too popular compared to the Z50 series engines. Have a look at Takegawa

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…