MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
So i was riding my cr today. And during use when i gave it throttle and it would.make a ts-ts-ts-ts-ts sound it sounded like it was in the gear box l.so when i tried to take of again the clutch snapped or something and the bike stopped, im not sure what the tst-tst sound was but it is really bothering me. So now i have a broken clutch and im not sure how to replace it or much less remove the broken cable. Please help! :yell:

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Cable

Well you to fix the cable first??But if it's slipping you probably need a new clutch.I doubt you blew the gears,it's very rare for a moto cross bike??

Apr 30, 2007
Well, actually, I have broken gears in the transmission before.

Some more information would help us help you a lot better.

What year is your bike? When did you last change the oil?

When you said "the bike stopped" did it stop moving ahead, or did the engine quit?

If the bike is in gear, and you pull in the clutch lever, can you push it around or not?

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
justalonewolf007 said:

When you said "the bike stopped" did it stop moving ahead, or did the engine quit?

If the bike is in gear, and you pull in the clutch lever, can you push it around or not?
the bike is a 2000. and the engine quits just like when you are first learning how to use a clutch and the and you let out the clutch to soon andthe bike shoots then stops. i think all it was was the cable broje. but that still doesnt explain the tst tst sound it makes when it is running in nutral

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
jarin12ga said:
Well you to fix the cable first??But if it's slipping you probably need a new clutch.I doubt you blew the gears,it's very rare for a moto cross bike??
i think my cable broke so ima try and change that and see what happens

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Turn the gas off and lay the bike on its left side(shifter down). Remove the bolts holding the clutch cover on and gently remove the clutch cover. Inspect the pressure plate, basket, and fiber/metal plates and look for debris. If everything looks good, put the cover back on. You can do this without draining the oil. If you find debris, put the cover back on, drain the oil, then remove the cover again and clean thoroughly, replace the cover and fill with oil.
The clutch basket on 12 year old bike is likely going to be "knotched". If it is severe, the clutch will not dis-engage properly. The fix is easy but you must take your time and clean things up really well when you are done. Post up if you have a "knotched" clutch basket and we will help you thru it.

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
BSWIFT said:
Turn the gas off and lay the bike on its left side(shifter down). Remove the bolts holding the clutch cover on and gently remove the clutch cover. Inspect the pressure plate, basket, and fiber/metal plates and look for debris. If everything looks good, put the cover back on. You can do this without draining the oil. If you find debris, put the cover back on, drain the oil, then remove the cover again and clean thoroughly, replace the cover and fill with oil.
The clutch basket on 12 year old bike is likely going to be "knotched". If it is severe, the clutch will not dis-engage properly. The fix is easy but you must take your time and clean things up really well when you are done. Post up if you have a "knotched" clutch basket and we will help you thru it.
can you spray out the clutch box with water to clean or just use a cloth?

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Not me!!

justalonewolf007 said:

I've raced B class for years and saw maybe 3 cases in blown gears out of hundreds of bikes.Plus I power shift allot when I raced and that kills transmissions even faster.A bearing may even cause a ticking sound?Who knows, I would have to see the bike in person!!!But still say it's not his gears!!

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
jarin12ga said:
I've raced B class for years and saw maybe 3 cases in blown gears out of hundreds of bikes.Plus I power shift allot when I raced and that kills transmissions even faster.A bearing may even cause a ticking sound?Who knows, I would have to see the bike in person!!!But still say it's not his gears!!
Thanks for the info! :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Just use a clothe.

Top Bottom