td center

Apr 26, 2004
I have a 2000 CR125 and it seems to have lost ALL low end power and no longer idles. I just bought the bike and the first day of riding it seemed okay to me(My first time on a bike), but my friend who has been riding for years said there seemed to be some bogging and noise from the engine. We got home and took of the cylinder and head. The Piston looked pretty new, but we replaced the ring and torqued everything back to spec. I then decided to bring it to a local mechanic to have the carb cleaned and adjusted. The mechanic did a few extras for me by taking the top end off and inspecting it. He ran a compression test and said the compression is great, and it has great spark. He also agreed the top end looked pretty new. Well I took the bike out for my second time ever and this time it wouldn't idle at all and had NO low end power. I changed the plug and still the same problem. The mechanic thinks it might be the crank and crank seals. Does this sound right? Any other ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance from a worried new rider.

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
Strange

It almost sounds as though you have soimething clogged in your air filter or something. It sounds like a air or fuel problem.

CR_Dave

Sponsoring Member
Mar 3, 2000
You could have a crank seal problem that is letting air in and ultimately screwing up the jetting. I read through your post and you did not mention anything about the reeds. I would definately check them on a CR.

I have a 2000 CR125 and had a crank seal problem that was easily fixed. Also had problems with reeds chipping pretty frequently. Until I got the crank seal fixed, I was all over the place on jetting.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
just so you know CR125s have almost no low end power to begin with, ride a friends to see if its normal.. i was extremely surprised at how slow they are when i first rode one

btw there may be an idle screw on your carb, if so get the bike to normal operating temps and adjust it the way you like.. if there is no idle screw you can use the air screw (same thing), or you may be able to pull your choke up and turn it

Top Bottom