CR125 or CR250, that is the question

coleman

Jan 4, 2003
You're too heavy for a 125 and a 250 is too big to start on. I'd suggest a crf250. I ride a yzf250 and it's sweet. A lot more power than a 125 but less than a 250. The power is really smooth and easy to use too.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
A 250 would be quite a handful to start on. As far as size, you would be a good fit on the 250. Any of the new 250f (pick your favorite color) would be a perfect choice. As stated above, much easier to handle, but alot more power than a 125 2 stroke. Just starting out a 250 could get you into trouble in a hurry.

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
Born_red69 said:
CR125 or CR250.... what one of these bikes should i get to start off with, im about 190 pounds 5'8, what do u guys think

I'm 145lb, 5'5 and last year, I went from an XR70 to a CR500.
Just last week, I raced (& completed) open C-class at WORCS on the CR500, on an MX, H&S, and tight woods track.

Can't go wrong w/ a CR, 125, 250 or 500.

Born_red69

Feb 13, 2004
wholy crap man, thats quite the jump, i just dont wanna get a bike now and then a few months down the road get tired of the power, know what i mean?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm an experienced rider, 6'1", 180 pounds, and I ride a 125. For a beginner, a 125 makes more power than you'll ever use.

Get over the "I need a big bike syndrome"

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
rv6junkie said:
Get over the "I need a big bike syndrome"

Tell us how you really feel :laugh:

I'd start on a 125. You might be able to handle the 250 but if you get nervous can grab a hand full of throttle you'll be sorry.

silveco

Apr 26, 2004
Ever heard the saying "A slow bike makes a fast rider"
I'd go for the 125 to start with. You won't regret it.
It will really teach you how to ride a bike.
I'm not saying that the 125 has no power, I'm just saying that the smaller bike will teach you how to squeeze every last bit of power from your bike. It will certainly improve your cornering speed. If you are a beginner, you'll find that the 250 will knock you around and make you tire quicker.
When you decide it's time to step up to the 250, you'll really appreciate the time you spent on the nimble little 125. Just make sure you set-up your bike to suit your weight. That is a must for whatever bike you get.

ay2000rm125

May 4, 2004
yeah man i would get the 125. i just started out riding dirt bikes again and that was my question. i got on my buddies yz250 and that thing was a beast. and im used to power with my sportbikes (just a different kind of power i guess) but i rode a 125 and thought that would be enough. i can ham fist it all i want and most of the time not have to worry about getting way over my head although it still runs.

i figured i would ge the 125, the only time i want a 250 is when we are on big open areas, which is not that often, ohh and on hills and what not on the 125 you have to work it sometimes to keep it in the powerband where as on teh 250 you just gass it a little more and your in the powerband.

kx134

May 4, 2004
i went from a 250 to a 125 (well, almost!)

it's much lighter and more whippable, and I am much faster on it on the track. I am still just getting used to it. that thing someone said about getting nervous and grabbing a handful of throttle on a 250...grabbing it isn't the problem-it's finding a way to let go! :ohmy: one time i had a real serious problem going through some whoops on my 250, basically every time I tried to regain control, I would goose the throttle, practically rip my arms off, hold on for dear life, and in the process, goose the throttle again. It wasn't until afterwards (miraculously I didn't go down) that I realized I was way back on the seat from the first throttle hit and the bike was basically dragging me through the whoops lol. That won't happen on a 125 unless you downshift two gears and pin it, and it still won't be like the feeling of a 250 that wants to go somewhere without you...

on the other hand, the 250 made me learn to do big hits due to the ease of getting the nec speed. In addition, I am finding that landing off steep drops or huge hits I have got to pin my 125 whereas I could always just drop a gear and go 1/2-3/4 throttle on the big bike. anyways, good luck.

btw 170 5-11

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I went from barely knowing how to ride, and bought my first, the CR500 above. I knew I would not have the cash to go from a 125 to a 250 and then to a 500, and did not want to deal with all the buying and selling. Maybe you could work it to your advantage buying each bike and then selling it when you are done but I wanted one for the ages which is what I got. The learning curve was steep. I learned throttle control real quick but I have always suspected it taught me bad habits about things like being in the correct gear and clutch use. But what difference does it really make, I don't have a smaller bike (the 200 is a basket case) only the 600 and it is almost the same. A spare bike for the ages is what it is.

Birken

Top Bottom