2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
hey i was just wondering if it would be ok to put the piston from a 1997 cr 125 into a 2000 yz 125?

Dec 7, 2008
if you look in the cr125 manual it will tell you the dementions and bolts and spacing of the piston and if those match it should work

(even if it goes in properly i would not start it)

Last edited:

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
they have the same bore,and stroke
the same pin,and rings as well, i think its the same piston, not positive, one of them might have a window in the piston? im bettin it would work

tyler_43

Jun 22, 2007
My '93 cr125 uses a flat top piston whereas the '02 yz125 has a domed piston.
If the cr piston does fit it will lower the compression on the yz as it's head is meant for the dome, thus decreasing your power.

aaronnaland

Jan 19, 2009
if its a 54mm bore and its a wiseco 762M05400 then it would otherwise it wouldnt due to dome and flat piston differences. that wiseco is a gp type piston. if its a stock piston then it definitely wouldnt

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The bore is critical for the piston to fit at all, but what is also VERY important is the distance from the wrist pin to the top of the piston and the shape of the top.

If the piston is just a tad taller then it could raise your compression ratio to a point that it will never run properly. Likewise, a tad shorter and your compression will be so low that it won't produce much power.

I suggest going to the Wiseco website and looking up the part number for both pistons. If they are the same piston, they will have the same part number. If the part numbers don't match, something is different about them.

I sure wouldn't try to save a few dollars by using the wrong piston and risk major damage to the engine.

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom