angst2

May 24, 2001
cr125 steel or aluminum clutch

2000 cr125 190-195lb rider without gear. 90% trail/10% track.
Clutch started slipping at high RPMs getting progressively worse until the bike was useless. I dont have any tools for measuring the friction plates but they look ok. The spacer plates look worn. Basket is OK. Looking through a search of old threads it seems people are divided on to get oem clutch parts or aftermarket.
The local Honda place wants about $160 for all the parts. I like the idea of the steel plates getting me a bit more low torque like a flywheel weight would but this is at the loss of some responsiveness as I understand it.
So the question is. For a trail rider who races beginner class a couple times a year should I get steel or will I miss the HP? Gopartsdirect.com has the EBC kit for $74 (but $13 to ship), is the Barnett kit better? Also any other mail order reccomendations? Price is more important than time I wont be able to ride for a while.
thanks
Eric Z
P.S. held a magnet to the existing spacers and they appear to be aluminum

Last edited:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I changed out the five aluminum plates on my 2002 CR250 for five OE steel plates. It gives the driveline a bit more inertia, making the bike less likely to stall on tight trails. It's not nearly as pronounced as a flywheel weight because it's after the primary reduction gear, but it does help. It also eliminates the aluminum fouling of the tranny oil.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
No question. Run all steel. You won't be sorry. Keeps the tranny oil cleaner, too.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
5 out of 5 DRN'rs recommend steel.

angst2

May 24, 2001
I did order steel with the EBC kit from an online place (plates, spacers, and springs). The prior owner of this bike said that the aftermarket springs can make the clutch real hard to pull. Would there be any problem using my OEM springs on the aftermarket kit or am I going to want the stiffer aftermarket springs in there?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
The stock springs will work fine.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I would use steel plates too....And always use same rate springs as oem , harder springs can ruin your gears.
The Honda clutch is designed to slip just a little when you change gear without using the clutch........

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Make sure that your stock springs are within specs. or you will burn your new clutch fast!

Top Bottom