CR125 to 144 Bore kit Impressions

sci85

Mar 27, 2008
Ok, so I blew the piston a little while back in my 1995 CR125. The cylinder was pretty scuffed up so I decided to drop the bucks and sent my cylinder and head up to Eric Gorr for his 144cc big bore kit.

Just got back today from my first after break-in ride and here are my impressions. Note that I had him do the port work for mid-top rather than low-mid and also had him modify the head for pump 93 octane rather than race gas.

Low end grunt is never a 125's strong suit but I gotta say that the 144 kit definitely adds better low end grunt. It's no 250 but what was non-existent low end stock now has at least something to work with. I did notice a slight decrease in rev quickness but a worthwhile trade for some low end torque that was basically zero before.

Mid power is much better. You can ride around on half throttle through the woods all day long and never feel like you have to work the motor to keep moving.

Top end, well, all I can say is wicked! Comes on sooner than stock and pulls like hell. The hit is remarkable. Stock the bike would power wheelie in 2nd gear. Now, it will power wheelie just as easily through 3rd. May not sound like much but the ability to pull the front end off the ground in 3rd is unsual for a stock 125. And, the ear to ear grin when this thing gets on the pipe is something no stock 125 or 4-stroke can match. :)

All in all, the $500 bucks was worth every penny. If you need a new top end for a tired 125, spend the money. I promise you the fun factor is worth it.

What a great day of riding it was.

Pics of the new cylinder work are here if interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24708223@N04/sets/72157604821450331/

sci85

rpm12505

~SPONSOR~
Sep 25, 2005
Lets not forget free diamond honing for life. Had to take Eric up on that when we let our 144 chow on some carbon fiber :bang: 144s don't need fiber in their diet, just liquids... kind of like the mechanic :laugh:

redsput

Feb 13, 2005
Ditto the comments on the Gorr 144. Just got My sons 03 kx 144 back together and broken in. It RocKS! Thinking I might just sell my KX 250 and build another flying feather bike for me. :cool:

sci85

Mar 27, 2008
I do like the grunt of a 250 but I'm a light rider and for me, lite is right! Now, to get to work on that MX stiff suspension....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom