Jun 22, 2007
Well i was riding and my top end went yesterday. Called my local honda dealer and what did they tell me? its going to be anywhere from 450 to 900 dollars to fix and they would need to see it first before giving me a price. Thats bullll!!! im not paying that, no way, never, i thought 2 smoke top ends were cheap as all hell?

How hard is it to replace your top end? what do i need to replace? how do i know if it needs to be replaced?

i just need help guys, any good tech sites on replacing a top end? any good tech guys that i can ask questions along the way while i replace the top end?

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
Whether you have a manual or not, you should be able to tear it down, depending on your mechanical experience. What year is that bike? What happened when your engine stopped? Did it go out with a bang, did it just lose compression or just a major loss of power? Really it shouldnt be that much, a piston probably goes anywhere from 100-200, rings are2 20-50, and I am not sure if you would need o rings for anything or bearings. Get back to us on the detail that I put in up there and we'll be able to help you out more.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
What he said ^^

It depends on what all is tore up. Pictures would be a good thing.

It's not hard to do, and probably a good thing to know how to do. I do suggest getting a service manual. Also, update your settings on here so that we know where you are, perhaps there is someone on here in your area that would be willing to help you out or at the very least give you some suggestions about where to take it to get fixed without all that a$$ raping.

I can say that if you are anywhere close by here, I'd be happy to help you get that thing running again. I'd say a fair amount of people on here would be.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Well it all depends on what's wrecked. Is the cylinder in good shape? That's $300 for a replate if it isnt. Piston kit $110, gaskets $40, wristpin bearing $20. Then if you have the shop do it, you have to pay labour costs. So if you do it yourself and you need a replate your looking at about $470. And whatever labour costs on top of that if the shop does it. That's worst case scenario.

Jun 22, 2007
I havent taken anything apart yet, but, this is what happend, i hear a wierd noise from my bike so i shut it down and take a look around, nothing seems to be wrong, i try kicking it and it wont start, tried that a bunch of times and nothing so i roll start it, take off and start rippin it, get into 4th and my bike died. now it wont kick because its siezed up.

How do i know if i need to replate? deep scratches?

I have another question, since i need a new piston, would it be a good idea to go out and get a nice performance piston or just got with the oem/stock replacement.

Caseys500

May 25, 2007
Top Ends are a piece of cake...I don't think you need to worry about a bottom end...Chances are maybe you shattered a piston...minor and some major scoring of the cylinder (if it is a shattered piston) can be cured by a good bore and hone job by a good local machine shop. Take the cylinder off and take it to one of them...not a dealer a machine shop and see what they tell you, maybe with a double-triple bore over it will be cleaned up. Have the machine shop mic the cylinder, that way you will know what size the piston will need to be. 125 piston and rings kit on an auction site might be $80-$125 (I just got my CR500 one for $125 (weisco forged) you will want to take the piston in to the machine shop when you have them bore the cylinder...Service honda gives great deals on gaskets (online)...some top end kits are only $25+shipping which is just as cheap or cheaper (and better) than aftermarket with 1-2 hours (and some swearing) putting everything back together it will scream. Worse case scenario is a resleave to oem and a new piston and rings kit.
The shop that did mine cleaned everything up including the head and did an outstanding bore for $85...which is what you will pay for an outstanding job. some places might only be $50. When it comes to that sort of stuff I think you get what you pay for but at the local dealer the quote was $350-$400...I spent a little over $200. Easy peasy!

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok... Take the head and piston to the dealer, and letthem look at it, they will be able to tell you everything that needs replaced. (usally a piston($80 - $125), gaskets($20), the cyliner needs bored out(My shop does it for $50)

So if you do it yourself you can usally keep it under $200

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Whhy bore it out to the maximum? Bore it out 1 step at a time. So the next time it blows you dont NEED a new cylinder.

And each time you bore it out, there is more power to gain.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Quick lesson,when you lose a top end,where does all that metal go,out the exhaust,or down in the crank.You have holes to feed fuel and metal to the bearings.Fuel goes on both sides of the bearing,and metal.How do you insure that the metal from between the crank seal and bearing are all out?How many hours does your manual recommend on the crank?Its about 8 hours on the stock piston and ring!

Top Bottom